Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

macro reverse adapter

Hi to everyone!
I'm a new member of this forum and a recent owner of a K-50.
I want to make my first steps to macro photography but i can't afford another lens right now.
I have the kit lens 18-55mm and the smc DA 50mm F1.8.
Is there any way i can reverse one of these lenses (or both?). I saw they sell some adapters for these purpose but i don't know exacly what to do...
Any suggestions?
(Apologies for my English)
Thanks

04-22-2014, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any type of reversing lenses (either reversing one on top of another, or using a reverse ring) will be a lot more practical if you have a lens that features an aperture ring.
The good news is that there's a lot of manual lenses like that are pretty cheap and really sharp! And inverter rings aren't expensive, I paid about 10 dollars for two (one 52mm, one 49mm) from KEH.

Here's my suggestions...

Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 - about 40 dollars, will give you about 1:1 magnification. I would start with this.
(you could also get a RIkenon 50 1.7 or f/2, or an Auto Sears 50 1.7 for about 25 dollars - those are also excellent lenses)
I use the 50s at about f/8 or f/11.

Sigma Mini Wide 28mm f/2.8 or Rikenon XR 28mm f/2.8 (a bit more rare) - from about 30 dollars, will give you about 1.7:1 magnification - that is HUGE in practice and you will probably need to stop down to at least f/16 for get a good part of the picture in focus, and use flash to make this work. You'll also have to compose almost in the dark, because of this.

I'm still starting so here's a couple of examples I did with the inverter rings.

First one with the 50mm, uncropped:

Now one with the 28mm. This is salt on a countertop, I did cropping on this one:

And this is a henbit flower stem with the 28mm with not a lot of cropping:

The 50mm was done without flash, and the two 28mm were done with just the onboard flash.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-22-2014 at 08:23 AM.
04-22-2014, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #3

Adapters come in two versions - single lens and duo lens adapters. The duo lens adapters have advantages that you change the magnification ratios with different lens combinations and continue to use aperture control via the camera body (on the normally mounted lens).

With a single lens adapter you use stop-down metering:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Usually it is best to set manual focus and the lenses to infinity. You focus by moving the camera a lens closer or away from the subject.

Here is a brief tutorial on both types of adapters:
Reverse Lens Macro: Close Up Photography Lesson #3 -
04-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
Lots of new things to learn.. thank you for your reply