Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Got a discontinued Pentax lens hood from supplier in Japan with Ricoh sticker.

Maybe the hood itself was discontinued much more recently than I thought, or its been longer than I thought since the buyout. Either that or way more stuff than I had believed is still in production or held new in Pentax/Ricoh warehouses over there and they are just screwing us by not allowing even special orders on any of it.
This is the lens hood in question though I got mine off Amazon from the only place that I could find selling it:
Pentax RH-RB52 Lens Hood (52mm) 34795 B&H Photo Video
As you can see its discontinued and fits a lens that is even more discontinued last I checked.

And as you can see from the lifted corner of the sticker I peeled it up to see what it all said under it, "PENTAX CORPORATION" in the same font and color as the "MADE IN JAPAN" line, not even any mention of Hoya. No idea when or why this was relabeled.

As an aside I love the 28-70 F4 lens already and was surprised to see the made in Japan sticker on it when I got it used for dirt cheap. Seems far higher quality than my other FA80-320 long zoom which was a silver one made in Taiwan. The two F4 aperture FA zoom lenses definitely seem to belong more with the 2.8 zoom lenses for build quality than the cheap variable aperture stuff in the FA lineup. For 1/10th the price they are no FA* of course.

And apparently when you order things from Japan even from regular commercial stores (106k items in Amazon store right now) you get awesomeness like a hand written flower print thank you note with matching flower print hand folded paper crane. It's sad how nifty I think it is, totally keeping it.
EDIT: It wasn't a generic note either, the first line was thanking me by name personally so I covered it.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-22-2014 at 04:42 PM.
04-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is unbelievable! That tiny origami plane is awesome! :O
04-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Cool! There are certainly lots of new accessories floating around various stores, they're just hard to find.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It was indeed unexpected to find one new since they don't turn up used at all, but the main thing that confused me, (other than the origami) was the fact that I was pretty confident the hood was discontinued production wise years ago and even went to unavailable to order status before the Ricoh buyout, but yet there's the Ricoh sticker stuck over the Pentax corporation line so it had to still be in the Pentax warehouse system at that time. I'm thinking it must have been on the "not for Americans" list for awhile.
I still find it amusing that they are bothering to relabel old stock accessories with the Ricoh label.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-22-2014 at 06:01 PM.
04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Very cool about the note and crane. I love that stuff (like the guy who makes custom camera leather and puts his Hanko on the envelope)! I received a ball head from Korea with a tiny silk (!) envelope in it holding a business card with a personal note written on it... still have it over my desk.
04-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
It was indeed unexpected to find one new since they don't turn up used at all, but the main thing that confused me, (other than the origami) was the fact that I was pretty confident the hood was discontinued production wise years ago and even went to unavailable to order status before the Ricoh buyout, but yet there's the Ricoh sticker stuck over the Pentax corporation line so it had to still be in the Pentax warehouse system at that time. I'm thinking it must have been on the "not for Americans" list for awhile.
I still find it amusing that they are bothering to relabel old stock accessories with the Ricoh label.
You can still get lots of Pentax 6x7 stuff new from Japan, even though it has not been produced for years. Japan still seems to have tons of this “new old stock” gear sitting on store shelves or in warehouses.

Phil.