Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a great fan of that lens--both the MF & AF versions.

01-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

my AF copy produces tack sharp images. nice macro shots too. I love this lens!
01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

It's a fun little lens, I got mine for $77, although it's rough cosmetically. (perfect optically.)

f/2.8, f/8

f/2.8
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #19

This is funny. Why is it that no one ever wants to admit they own a soft lens?

01-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesselator Quote
This is funny. Why is it that no one ever wants to admit they own a soft lens?
I see tons of folks admitting they have a soft lens, or probably more accurately, admitting that they had a soft lens. But usually it's FF/BF complaints, which can often really be the body.

In my case, all kit zooms I've owned sans one have been pretty soft wide open. I had a Sigma 24-90 that was soft, muddy and terrible. I had a Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 screw-mount that was so-so. Almost every MF zoom I've ever tried was either very soft, or had terrible CA, except for a couple Vivitar/Komine zooms.

How about you? Any softness to admit?

06-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just bought one of these on ebay for 50... Going to use it in TAv and hyperfocal for street photos...
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Any softness to admit?
Naw, I'm tough as nails and I think it's a nifty little lens. Of course people admit to softness: it's called "complaining." ;~) Sure, I have lenses that are sharper wide-open &/or across the frame but this little sweetie have given me some really nice shots.
06-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am in a pickle, so to speak, if not a megapickle. I owe The House some money for lenses. I have a deadline for repayment. We're currently journeying and will return home in a couple weeks. I must sell more than a few lenses and cameras then. Among the likely sacrifices are two Sigma 24/2.8's -- one an M42 Sigma-Z, the other a T2 branded as Albinar, both obviously from the same shop. They were cheap a couple years ago, averaging US$15 each. They will likely bring 5x that amount now. And I haven't forced myself to use them, so they're candidates to be Sold Down The River.

But if I sell them, I'll be left with just two 24's -- the great PK-M Vivitar-Kiron 24/2, and the pretty damn good N/AI (modded for PK-M) Paragon-Cimko 24/2.8. That compares with my sixteen 28's. For various reasons, I'm reluctant to sell those (except a Tak-B 28/2.8), and manual 28's don't fetch much anyway. I know, I should put the two Sig24's into my lens-of-the-day schedule and really work them out. But I won't have much time for that.

So, my pickle: Are the two Sig24's worth keeping, at the risk of evoking The House's Wrath; or do I sell them and go on with life?

06-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, neither of those Sigma's are the lens under discussion here. From what I've heard (it might even have been from you), the Sigma-Z is not considered that great a lens. I'm not familiar with the T2 one, but that must be rather early also and so I would not expect great things from that period. My advise is to sell them. They are easy enough to get again if you so choose when you are in better shape, and there are other, better, 24mm primes you might then consider instead: the Sigma under discussion here in AF or MF, the Vivitar TX 24/2.5 (Tokina made, of course; I have the second version of this with 52mm filter thread). Frankly, I hardly use 24mm primes in my photography--I find the great 28mm primes superior in IQ (not surprising for a less difficult focal lengh) and so opt for them.

Edit: I was in a third-party lens mind above. Of course the Pentax-K 24/2.8 is supposed to be quite nice, and you have the Takumar 24mm too for screwmount. I'd certainly take either of those (mind you they are costlier) than the two you are thinking of selling.

Last edited by macTak; 06-11-2011 at 08:58 AM.
06-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I am in a pickle, so to speak, if not a megapickle. I owe The House some money for lenses. I have a deadline for repayment. We're currently journeying and will return home in a couple weeks. I must sell more than a few lenses and cameras then....
I didn't look at who posted this and started reading thinking it was clever Nigerian scam spam... "I owe The House some money for lenses, unless you deposit 10,000 in my account my family will be sold as collatoral....

I'm afraid I can't really help RioRico, can't imagine having that much glass of the same focal length... My advice would be to pick the one you like the most and sell the rest, but I guess that's hopelessly inadequate!

My Sigma 2.4mm f.28 Superwide arrived today. It was initially stiff to get on the camera - I had to force it on. Something gave and it's fine now. The aperture ring is also really stiff. The lens looks hardly used, so I wonder if it just needs a bit of working in. Took a couple of test shots and I'm already impressed at the sharpness. I will post some photos by the end of the day...
06-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Took the lens out yesterday, I'm very happy with it's sharpness. Contrast not so great - tho that could be the hood. I wasn't very inspired, or maybe I am not used to the FL yet, so these are cropped and messed with a bit. More soon hopefully.

06-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

jeztastic I find mine nice and sharp, especially in close, but the colors seem a little off and contrast needs adjusting as you say. For me it isn't an "every shot a winner" lens as much as ok for general use with the occasional very pleasant surprise.
06-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

This ain't getting a lot of attention on the Critique forum, so I'm xposting here. Feed back about lighting and colour appreciated. Feel it needs more contrast myself, possible less highlights on the weed. Shows what the lens can do though. I was finding it flared an awful lot. Thinking about a combination of polarising filter and bigger hood.

06-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

I don't think it needs less highlights, but I'd darken the darks a bit and saturate the colours bit more.

with the lens assesment, I agree.
It flares badly and big hood is needed... I didn't like the contrast, colours and flare resistance (the lack of it) on my Sigma 24/2.8 AF and sold it quickly...
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's a very nice photo, jeztastic. Perhaps a little pp might get you where you want to go but I don't see anything to complain about.