Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #1

I need help! 28mm 2.8 opportunity, which one of these two?

Hello people at PentaxForum.

I've got my pentax ME today, and I already want to get a 28mm because thats a focal I use in my digital camera, and I want it to use in my slr aswell.

I have only two options of 28mm. 2.8 K mount lenses to get (I can't buy camera gear online from other countries, just gear from Argentina, where I live).

Which one of these two should I get?

Vivitar 28mm. f2.8 (thanks to a vivitar lens thread, I think its the 'KOMINE' one, right?

Or this Tokina 28mm f2.8 "SL" (according to salesman)

If the Tokina is K mount like the Vivitar, which one should I get????
I don't have, right now, the serial numbers in order to know more about them.

Please, help a new member out!!

04-24-2014, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Are those the pictures of the actual lenses? If so that Vivitar is a Cosina and has been messed with by a potentially incompetent person. The Tokina is a Nikon mount.
04-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Are those the pictures of the actual lenses? If so that Vivitar is a Cosina and has been messed with by a potentially incompetent person. The Tokina is a Nikon mount.

Thanks for the reply! I just found out (owner replied) that yes, indeed, is a Cosina, (serial number 97082485), and about the condition, this is the back of the lens

Photo of the back (big size)

side photo

front view

---------------

found this other one, in my city.

photo 1
photo 2

is that a K mount? serial number 28xxxx means it's a good choice, right?

Thanks in advance!
04-24-2014, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If so that Vivitar is a Cosina and has been messed with by a potentially incompetent person.
Elliott beat me to it. The Viv has been opened by a klutz.

Steve

04-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Elliott beat me to it. The Viv has been opened by a klutz.

Steve
Thats what the owner just told me! it was open because a blade was stucked, or something like that.

I wont be getting that lens...

I found a pentax-M smc 28 2.8!!

despite the price and the language, check the pictures, looks fine! worth getting it right?

Lente Smc Pentax-m 28mm F/2.8 - $ 850,00 en MercadoLibre
04-24-2014, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agusbmxarg Quote
Thanks for the reply! I just found out (owner replied) that yes, indeed, is a Cosina, (serial number 97082485), and about the condition, this is the back of the lens

Photo of the back (big size)
The Viv has a combo Pentax-A/Ricoh P mount. It has a Ricoh pin at about 12:00 position. I can't tell for sure, but I think the pin may be the dangerous type...the kind that can get stuck on a Pentax AF body. There is a safer version of the pin that looks like a spring-loaded ball and I don't think that is it.

Steve
04-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Tokina EL right here that is pretty good. I got it in a lot. Very sharp, good colors and contrast, decent flare resistance. I'd say better than the Pentax-M 28/2.8. I have seen several Tokina 28s with physical differences, I don't know how this lens fits into the Tokina lineup. This is the lens:

I have taken a few shots with a Vivitar/Cosina and did not see anything to complain about. That particular lens has extra holes drilled in it to take it apart. Who knows why or if it's together right.

04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thats what the owner just told me! it was open because a blade was stucked, or something like that.

I wont be getting that lens...

I found a pentax-M smc 28 2.8!!

despite the price and the language, check the pictures, looks fine! worth getting it right?

Lente Smc Pentax-m 28mm F/2.8 - $ 850,00 en MercadoLibre
I hope those are not US dollars in the price!

I can't make a judgement based on the photos supplied and my Spanish is not so good. If the rear element and mount are in good shape, it might be a good lens. Is the seller willing to say whether the aperture is fully functional (all settings work and the action is snappy) and the focus is smooth lock-to-lock?

Steve
04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

found this other one, in my city.

photo 1
photo 2

is that a K mount? serial number 28xxxx means it's a good choice, right?
That Vivitar isn't a K mount either, it is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like Contax/Yashica mount.

I'd go for the Pentax M if the price is reasonable for you. Google says 850ARS is about 100USD. That is high for the US, but I understand the markets are different.
04-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yes, I can't even discuss numbers in this site, prices here are a world apart.

I ask the seller if those are real pictures, and hows the lens working, I think that if he tells me everything is OK, I might get it...

Thanks PENTAX FORUM users! learned a bunch these last two days thanks to this site
04-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got my pentax ME today, and I already want to get a 28mm because thats a focal I use in my digital camera, and I want it to use in my slr aswell.
I just want to make a quick comment here, just in case. The ME is a full frame camera as you probably already know, while your KM is a ASP-C sensor camera (1/2 the size of the FF film format). What that means is that the field of view is going to be different (substantially wider) when the lens when it is mounted on the ME vs the KM.
  • The KM with the 28mm mounted will have a horizontal field of view of 45.6 degrees
  • The ME with the 28mm mounted will have a horizontal field of view of 65.5 degrees
The bottom line is that the pictures from each of the cameras will be very different when taken with the very same lens.

04-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the M 28/2.8:

See this thread:
OH MY GOODNESS! WRONG TITLE! I mean its M 28mm 2.8

It deals with the price of exactly the same lens, albeit with some initial confusion.

Disclaimer: I was reasonably active in that thread. Read it in its entirety, don't take snippets out of context.
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Regarding the M 28/2.8:

See this thread:
OH MY GOODNESS! WRONG TITLE! I mean its M 28mm 2.8

It deals with the price of exactly the same lens, albeit with some initial confusion.

Disclaimer: I was reasonably active in that thread. Read it in its entirety, don't take snippets out of context.
It doesn't matter what the prices are in the US or other countries, if that is what it costs to get one in Argentina, that is what it costs. That Pentax M's asking price was lower than any other lens he asked about, they wanted 900ARS for the Vivitars and 950ARS for the Tokina.

Gran Angular Vivitar 28mm F 2.8 Montura Pentax K - $ 900,00 en MercadoLibre
Lente Gran Angular Tokina 28mm F2.8 Para Pentax - $ 950,00 en MercadoLibre
Wide Angle Vivitar Mc,28mm 1:2.8, 49mm Excelente Estado!! - $ 900,00 en MercadoLibre
04-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love me M28.

most of its apparent flaws (lack of contrast) are easily fixed in post.

Owning this lens is not going to make you a movie star, but its a fun little knob to have in the collection
04-24-2014, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #15

I'm also from Argentina and I can confirm that lens prices here are *very* different than in the US, but I must say that MercadoLibre is *especially* expensive. I've got much better deals through "alamaula" (a classifieds site also owned by ebay, but that works differently than ML).

For example, through alamaula I got:

A zenith camera with an helios 58 f2, a starblitz flash and a zenith camera bag, everything for 250 ARS (great deal)
A rikenon 50 1.7 for 200 ARS (good deal)
A K 135 2.5, an M 50 1.7 and an M 28 2.8, all 3 for 1500 ARS plus shipping (best f* deal evaaar!!!! esp. for the K135

On MercadoLibre, on the other hand, I have only purchased a Tak 50 f4, for 2000 ARS (yes, I paid 2 thousand ARS plus shipping)

And for the sake of completeness, on ebay, I've got an M 80-200 4.5 and a tak 35 3.5, for which I paid more money for shipping plus tax than for the lenses itselves (but cheaper overall than what I would have had to pay if bought through MercadoLibre).

Regarding the M 28 2.8, I believe it's a very capable lens, and I'm happy with it (Although I've had no experience with any other 28s)