Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Pentaxian

I love my DA40, sharp and great colours ..... but I love my DA70 even more, there's something a bit special about the 70.

06-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
f/1.4 is two stops fast thn f/2.8. Meaning four times faster shutter speed at the same ISO setting, which of course can useful in low light if you're having trouble getting a fast shutter speed to stop blur. But the flip side is, the 50/1.4 at f/1.4 is nowhere near as sharp as the DA40 at f/2.8, and the depth of field (Google it if unfamiliar) is so shallow you can'often t get a whole face in focus. Useful if that's the effect you're going for, but in most practical shooting situations, you'd shooting hte 50 stopped down a bit anyhow - and you'll probably 40mm a more useful focal length. I'm glad I have my 50 (a cheap manual one) for the rare times when I want shallower DOF or need faster shutter than my 40 gives me, but the 40 gets used about 1000 times more often.
Couple things - of course the 50 isn't as sharp at 1.4, but it is very comparable at 2.8. The difference is that you don't have the 1.4 option with the 40. I can engage crazy bokeh mode any time I want with the 50, or stop down for sharpness, but that can't happen with the 40.

Also, whether or not a focal length is useful to you is very subjective. 40 mm converts to 60mm equivalent, and if you'll notice there aren't very many film lenses in that range. This is because it isn't quite long enough for portraits, and it isn't quite wide enough for general purpose. I personally have found the 50 to have a more usable focal length, if only because it works very well at one thing, rather than sort of ok at a few things.
06-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Couple things - of course the 50 isn't as sharp at 1.4, but it is very comparable at 2.8. The difference is that you don't have the 1.4 option with the 40. I can engage crazy bokeh mode any time I want with the 50, or stop down for sharpness, but that can't happen with the 40.
True. But the 50 could go as wide as the 40, and for me, the times I wish a 50 were wider far outnumber the times I wish the 40 were faster. but it is true that focal length is subjective. If you to happen to prefer 50mm, then that makes the choice easier.

QuoteQuote:
40 mm converts to 60mm equivalent, and if you'll notice there aren't very many film lenses in that range. This is because it isn't quite long enough for portraits, and it isn't quite wide enough for general purpose.
But it makes a nice compromise between the two.
06-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True. But the 50 could go as wide as the 40, and for me, the times I wish a 50 were wider far outnumber the times I wish the 40 were faster.
I guess it just comes down to shooting style, because the places I'm in frequently call for 2.0 or better. Of course, it depends on the body and your noise standards too - if you can get away with 6400 comfortably then 2.8 might be more of a possibility, but as a rule I'm usually hanging out more around 1600.

The 40 isn't a bad lens by any means - very sharp and very svelte. I just think a fast 50 should be in everybody's arsenal.

06-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I guess it just comes down to shooting style, because the places I'm in frequently call for 2.0 or better. Of course, it depends on the body and your noise standards too - if you can get away with 6400 comfortably then 2.8 might be more of a possibility, but as a rule I'm usually hanging out more around 1600.
And indeed, many times I need the equivalent of 3200. But I'll still take that slightly higher noise and a small, sharp, fast focusing lens at the focal length that suits me, as opposed to an image with a little less noise but too shallow DOF, too soft, too long a focal length, too slow AF, and/or or too large a lens (not that the FA50 is particularly large, but getting an affordable lens that fast in a more appropriate focal length tends to be).

QuoteQuote:
I just think a fast 50 should be in everybody's arsenal.
I agree, if only for the reason that it's the only cheap / good fast lens around, and you can get it *real* cheap by going with manual focus. But if there were similarly cheap/good 30-40mm lenses, I'd recommend one of those over a 50 in a heartbeat. Anyhow, while I would agree everyone might as well *have* a fast fifty (a $20 MF one will do nicely), I wouldn't agree it's a more *useful* lens for most people than the DA40. In certain situations, yes, but for me - and, from what I have seen, for many others - spending $350 on a DA40 (plus $20-$50 for an MF 50) still makes more sense than spending the same on an AF 50. I do realize different people have different preferences here, though.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-17-2010 at 02:21 PM.