Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Which lenses to bring on Peru trip?

Headed to Peru (Machu Picchu and other spots) next week and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to drag along my Pentax 300mm lens. I generally use my 18-250 but I'm afraid I might see a critter or something interesting at a distance and might wish I had the 300. Am I fooling myself? Should I travel light and forget the 300, or play it safe and bring it along?

04-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,432
QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
travel light and forget the 300
That. I would consider something wider, too. I find the 12-24 is an excellent travel lens.
04-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That. I would consider something wider, too. I find the 12-24 is an excellent travel lens.
Thanks, I do have a wide angle zoom which I will probably bring. And also a 90mm macro. So the question is, do I stop at these three, or do I include the 300 as well?
04-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian
K McCall's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 780
QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
Headed to Peru (Machu Picchu and other spots) next week and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to drag along my Pentax 300mm lens. I generally use my 18-250 but I'm afraid I might see a critter or something interesting at a distance and might wish I had the 300. Am I fooling myself? Should I travel light and forget the 300, or play it safe and bring it along?
I've been to Peru as well, and it's one of my favorite countries in the world to visit. If you can make it to Iquitos and the area around that...that's where I'd love to retire!

I personally prefer a lighter kit to carry around, so I'd skip the 300. I'd definitely go with a wide-angle lens, as even just random sides of the road are incredibly panoramic and scenic. Like SpecialK, I find the 12-24 to be one of my favorite travel lenses. The 90mm macro may come in handy, although I find that when I travel, I tend to take fewer macros and the ones I take aren't nearly as memorable as the landscapes and street shots.

Have a great trip, and please post lots when you get back!

04-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,668
300 is only 20% longer than 250...Doesn't seem worth taking to me. You'll be happy to have you bag lighter.
04-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,107
Photography related threads don't belong in GT.
Since this is about lenses, the Lens Discussion forum seems like a good place for it, soooo........
:moving:
04-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,814
I remembered someone taking just the 18-250 to Machu Picchu so I found this for you. Here is a link to his photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson/sets/72157600787399995/

And here is one thread where he talks about it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/6004-proper...-altitude.html
04-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
i_trax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,076
i would take 18-250 Pentax or Sigma + DA 12-24 if you have it , otherwise Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5

04-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Dr Orloff's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton, England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 498
Wildlife will not be the focus on this trip. Landscape will be the priority, along with some normal length travelogue photography. I have not been there for many years. There was a bus strike when I visited and we had to climb up from the Urubamba valley. Quite some effort but all the more worthwhile to appreciate the setting. A magical place, to be captured with your finest lenses.
04-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input folks. I was originally planning to bring the 300, but then thought it might not be used much and it's heavy to lug around. It looks like the verdict is unanimous - leave it home. So I will. And after seeing the link provided by Just1MoreDave, I decided it will be worth having my 90mm macro with me. So it looks like 3 lenses in the bag - 12-24, 90 macro, and the 18-250. Probably also bring my flash, and that's about it. I'll post some shots in late May.

I planned this trip without knowing much about the area, and so I allocated a few days in Mexico City on the way. Now, after seeing how much there is to see in Peru, I wish I could start over. Oh well, maybe another trip....
04-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member
peterjcb's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
Thanks for all the input folks. I was originally planning to bring the 300, but then thought it might not be used much and it's heavy to lug around. It looks like the verdict is unanimous - leave it home. So I will. And after seeing the link provided by Just1MoreDave, I decided it will be worth having my 90mm macro with me. So it looks like 3 lenses in the bag - 12-24, 90 macro, and the 18-250. Probably also bring my flash, and that's about it. I'll post some shots in late May.

I planned this trip without knowing much about the area, and so I allocated a few days in Mexico City on the way. Now, after seeing how much there is to see in Peru, I wish I could start over. Oh well, maybe another trip....
This must be the "in" destination...my son is leaving this coming Thursday for the same trip...he's doing the hiking trail.

The DA35mm Macro limited would be an excellent lens to bring, it's small & compact and has outstanding IQ besides having Macro capability.
Or I might suggest a DA15 or FA 31, both are reasonably compact especially the DA15.
You might find yourself using the normal & wide lenses most of all on a trip like this.
04-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,246
What body are using? Do you have any lenses apart from those already mentioned?
The air is pretty thin up there; every gram in your bag will feel like it's double the weight.
04-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What body are using? Do you have any lenses apart from those already mentioned?
The air is pretty thin up there; every gram in your bag will feel like it's double the weight.
I have the K-3 body. The only other lens I have is a Pentax 17-70. Recent divorce has made it tough to buy the good lenses, lol. My macro lens is a 90mm Tamron that I really like. My wide angle is also a Tamron 10-24. I am a little worried about the altitude. We aren't doing any of the long hikes, but still... We'll be spending several days in Mexico City, which I understand is 7,300 ft, so that will help acclimate a little before heading up the big hill. I lived in Denver back in the Army, but now when I go it's different, especially at the ski towns. I'm 67 now. Should be interesting, in more ways than one
04-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,657
If hiking a lot, the 300 will be heavy. Ask yourself if that weight will be incapacitating for you. That's the main question.

As for me, I would have a hard time traveling with only a 18-250 because I wouldn't trust it for those once-in-a-lifetime images, IQ will be correct but not astounding. I'd bring a few small primes (21, 40, 100 macro in my case).
04-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If hiking a lot, the 300 will be heavy. Ask yourself if that weight will be incapacitating for you. That's the main question.

As for me, I would have a hard time traveling with only a 18-250 because I wouldn't trust it for those once-in-a-lifetime images, IQ will be correct but not astounding. I'd bring a few small primes (21, 40, 100 macro in my case).
The thought of swapping primes scares me a bit. I think with all the tourist competition I need to be able to grab a shot quickly when it opens up. I've been doing a lot of reading on Pentax lenses and I just don't see any good alternative that would be a significant improvement over the 18-250. I've considered picking up the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and using it with my Pentax 17-70, but then I have the swapping issue again. Tamron has a new 16-300 that looks interesting, but not available for Pentax. So, while the 18-250 may not be perfect, it looks like the best alternative for my situation.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
peru
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which lens to bring??? nutkasse Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-20-2014 11:20 AM
What lenses to bring on a trip to NY & DC? lenp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 06-24-2013 05:45 AM
Advice on what lenses to take on outdoor holiday trip JohntheThird Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 02-24-2013 06:51 AM
Which lenses to bring to Comic-con New York? Vantage-Point Photographic Technique 3 08-07-2011 11:57 AM
Upcoming trip to Las Vegas (which lenses to bring?) dgaies Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 06-11-2010 05:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top