Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my eyes, the FA 50 macro is by far the best '50' you can get:

- reasonably bright,
- fantastic 1:1 macro capability
- excellent optical quality

Although I have recently acquired the DA 35 macro, the FA 50 stays there high on the hill, untouchable...

04-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
I tend to disagree, I have found the F50 1.7 to be the very best on digital because of DOF. But I do agree the A50/1.2 is one heXX of a good lens and do not discount the kit lenses of the M50/1.2's.
There is no such thing as an 'M50/1.2'. You are wrong on your other point, too.
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Bokeh: From what I heard, the later 50/1.7 (A, F, FA) has the most pleasing one.
The edge that I saw was towards my A50/1.2 in regards to bokeh. Both of my f/1.7 lenses (the M and F) had harder edges in the out-of-focus areas.
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Color Rendition: I don't get into this. Unless it's outright too cool or too warm, color rendition is also up to personal liking.

And FWIW, I suggest the 50/1.2 half-jokingly since his ID is Fastphotography. I know everyone has at least a few 50s they've tried so he would get more than just my opinion.
I think we're on the same page for the most part. 'Best' is subjective here. I also understood your suggestion when considering his user I.D. Thought the same thing for a moment, but didn't commit it to keyboard as you did.

For a sample of what I mean by color rendition take a look at the comparison of the two finalist lenses in that 50mm shootout link. The f1.2 and an SMC Takumar 1.4, IIRC. The difference between the two is quite obvious, and I tend to like the scenes as represented by Takumar. Your preference may vary, and that is fine.

I also note this: I didn't get to see the actual scene as the testers were snapping their shots. It could well be the f1.2 shows the more accurate representation of the layout. I have no way of knowing if they don't come out & tell us, so I take these comparisons with a grain of salt and consider them incomplete. (hope I didn't miss some reference to overall accuracy during my quick scan of the text)

04-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
Inactive Account

The Pentax's 50mm lens, i think the A50/2.8 and F50/1.4 are the best. all of these MTF are 4.6.
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
There is no such thing as an 'M50/1.2'. You are wrong on your other point, too.
i think she meant M50/1:2 kit lens ... but i'm sure WendyB's been through her share of this agrument already.
thanks a lot for your test Carpents, i refer to it a lot whenever i'm thinking of fast 50s.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bowman Quote
The Pentax's 50mm lens, i think the A50/2.8 and F50/1.4 are the best. all of these MTF are 4.6.
Are these the Photodo scores? the F50 is quite the elusive animal

The A50/1.2 is as close as one can get to a "Noctilux" on Pentax ... i always think of this photo as a good example on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by k100d; 04-24-2008 at 06:24 PM.
04-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow.

I certainly haven't heard a definite best 50 response! Everybody kind of has their own opinions. I'm leaning towards the FA50/1.4 or SMC Tak 50/1.4. Both tack sharp, right?

04-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Wow.

I certainly haven't heard a definite best 50 response! Everybody kind of has their own opinions. I'm leaning towards the FA50/1.4 or SMC Tak 50/1.4. Both tack sharp, right?
not wide open