Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I love love love love love the swirly bokeh of the K 85! I see that in some fast, classic lenses, what causes it?

Also, what is the J9? A Jupiter? I really like the sharpness and dimensionality of that one.
The little swirly bokeh of the K85 was not apparent until I used it on FF.
AFAIK, there are 2 ideas thrown about regarding its causes, optical vignetting and spherical aberration.

Yes, J9 is the Jupiter 9 its a keeper it one can find a good one and the sonnar look if one goes for such things.
Sadly, it a hit or miss on ebay for this lens.

04-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
A second thumbs up for the M or A 100/2.8.
That is a fantastic option. But I can only find the F and D FA versions. But I wouldn't mind getting the D FA WR, as it is one sexy looking lens with great build, I'm surprised it isn't tagged with a *. I'm just not sure, is it worth $500 when I can get many of the 85mm for around $300?

EDIT: I just realized that it doesn't have an aperture ring. Wups.
04-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #33

I thought you were looking for a manual lens? I suggested the M100 f2.8 as my pick but if you are opening it up to autofocus I would also throw my Tamron 90 f2.8 (which does have an aperture ring) into the mix. It is a great macro lens with the added bonus of being a really nice portrait lens...great out of focus in my opinion.
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I've been very pleased with the results from my Pentax-A 3.5 / 35-105mm zoom. That said, I really would like to have that Rokinon/Vivitar/Opteka 1.4 / 85mm.

04-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
I thought you were looking for a manual lens? I suggested the M100 f2.8 as my pick but if you are opening it up to autofocus I would also throw my Tamron 90 f2.8 (which does have an aperture ring) into the mix. It is a great macro lens with the added bonus of being a really nice portrait lens...great out of focus in my opinion.
I didn't mean to open up autofocus lenses, but if the build is as impressive as a classic lens, I guess it deserves attention. I just can't afford the 77mm, or there would be no discussion. Haha.
04-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The little swirly bokeh of the K85 was not apparent until I used it on FF.
AFAIK, there are 2 ideas thrown about regarding its causes, optical vignetting and spherical aberration.
In the Pentax K Series lens brochures from 1975, the K85/1.8 is noted as:
Creates a soft-focus effect in the areas just beyond the depth-of-field
This swirly bokeh I would assume is a result and is intentional.

Phil.
04-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
In the Pentax K Series lens brochures from 1975, the K85/1.8 is noted as:
Creates a soft-focus effect in the areas just beyond the depth-of-field
This swirly bokeh I would assume is a result and is intentional.

Phil.
Hi Phil,
I wonder - where did you find those brochures? It would be very nice to see some original documentation to my beloved K series lenses.
Martin
04-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Hi Phil,
I wonder - where did you find those brochures? It would be very nice to see some original documentation to my beloved K series lenses.
Martin
Hi Martin:

This is the original lens brochure I got when I bought my K series kit in late 1975. (The password is "Pentax")

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/literature/lenses_k.pdf

Phil.

05-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Phil,
Thanks a lot, this is swell material....
05-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #40
klh
Site Supporter

My old favorite lens is now my new favorite lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/260757-silv...ml#post2803580

I highly recommend dcshooter's work.

Kevin
05-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Samyang/Bower/Vivitar/OMGWTF

Sorry guys. I got distracted by my midterms and just realized that I sort of abandoned this thread.

After reviewing all the options mentioned, I think the Samyang 85/1.4 looks like the best bang-for-buck lens. I just wasn't planning on going hundreds in, but if I have to, it may as well be on a new lens with an A setting. But are any of the twenty brandings of this lens better than the others? No rush. I don't plan on getting it for another month or so.

Also, I got ahold of a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM for a pretty decent price just so I could have a wide to normal zoom that is a step up from the kit. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

Thanks!
05-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reviewing all the options mentioned, I think the Samyang 85/1.4 looks like the best bang-for-buck lens. I just wasn't planning on going hundreds in, but if I have to, it may as well be on a new lens with an A setting. But are any of the twenty brandings of this lens better than the others? No rush. I don't plan on getting it for another month or so.
I would slightly prefer the results from some of the older Pentax glass, but this is a solid second choice and is actually quite nice at times, from what I've seen. Plus, an f/1.4 aperture is nice to have at times (the FA*85/1.4 is perhaps my most often used lens).
05-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry guys. I got distracted by my midterms and just realized that I sort of abandoned this thread.

Also, I got ahold of a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM for a pretty decent price just so I could have a wide to normal zoom that is a step up from the kit. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

Thanks!

Good choice with the Samyang, Bsamcash. The cost really appealed to me, too.

I tried it out on this very cooperative subject:

Like you, I also upgraded the kit lens ... in my case, the Tammy 17-50.

Last edited by clackers; 05-06-2014 at 05:17 AM.
05-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks!
The only reason I have a tak 85/1.9 is that I suffer from LBA. I wanted an 85 mm for several years, but never found a good sample at a good price. I bought the samyang (mine is a vivitar label which has some slight cosmetic differences from other rebrands which are exact copies except the label) and almost immediately after tripped over a super tak 85/1.9 for $200

Even though I had the samyang and was pleased with it, who could say no?

There are some people who have complained the samyang 85 lacks punch, but I think those people are all into grossly over saturated shots. For me I find the lens offers very realistic renderings , and the speed plus focal length combine to provide good hokeh and separation of the background when you use it properly.

Check this link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club.html#post1433435
05-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #45
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
As budget was not mentioned, I would feel safe to recommend either my "Sweetheart" the SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4 or my "Lady Luck" the SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8, both as producers of fine portraits.