Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma lens help pls

I am considering the purchase of this lens from a local seller and was wondering if anyone could let me know about what he says concerning the modified flange that was 'slightly cut'. Does this harm the lens in any way?

BTW, the lens will go on a K10d (that I havent purchased yet). Will it work on this camera?

Also, sorry for the newb questions. And I hope its ok to post a link to a craigslist listing in this forum. If this is against the rules then pls let me know. Here is the lens in question...

PENTAX PK-mount lens, SIGMA 100-200mm f:4.5

Thanks for any help you can give me. This same seller also has this lens as well....better deal?

PENTAX SMC F Zoom 80-200 f4.5/5.6 lens

Im kinda leaning toward the pentax lens but the other is just dirt cheap.

Thanks again.

04-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing about the Sigma, but the Pentax is actually a F4.7-5.6 lens, not the 4.5 stated in the ad. It's a pretty slow lens by today's standards. I'd be more inclined to find an 'A' or 'F' 70-210 lens instead. The 'F' if you want autofocus or the 'A' (slightly better lens) if you don't mind focusing manually.

I usually check here for info in older K-mount lenses: Stan's Pentax Photography

The site is old and hasn't been updated in ages, but the info that is there is pretty good. You can also check the lens database here on this site for more reviews:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 80-200mm F4.7-5.6
04-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have seen a lot of lenses modified this way. They will work with modern DSLR when modified. One thing I would check is the optics. Using power tools to cut the flange off produces a lot of very fine dust/particles that can get inside the lens.

Another thing to consider is that this is K lens and will not transmit aperture setting to the camera.

I know that the price of the Sigma lens is tempting but you might want to look for Sigma 70-300mm autofocus lens that sells in stores for about $150. I have bought mine for $80 used. It is very good lens for the price.
04-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bokeh Quote
I am considering the purchase of this lens from a local seller and was wondering if anyone could let me know about what he says concerning the modified flange that was 'slightly cut'. Does this harm the lens in any way?

BTW, the lens will go on a K10d (that I havent purchased yet). Will it work on this camera?

Also, sorry for the newb questions. And I hope its ok to post a link to a craigslist listing in this forum. If this is against the rules then pls let me know. Here is the lens in question...

PENTAX PK-mount lens, SIGMA 100-200mm f:4.5

Thanks for any help you can give me. This same seller also has this lens as well....better deal?

PENTAX SMC F Zoom 80-200 f4.5/5.6 lens

Im kinda leaning toward the pentax lens but the other is just dirt cheap.

Thanks again.
note that the "cutting" of the flange is a normal modification, it is too biug and interferes with mounging on the pentax DSLRs. I mnodified my Vivitar S1 for the same reason.

You need to find out if the modification was done with the flange on the lens or not. I would not consider purchasing a lens where the modification to the flange was done in place without being able to inspect it personally, due to the risk of either scratching an element or filling the lens with aluminium filings.

04-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I will probably hold off on the sigma due to not being able to confirm how the mod was done. I am still considering the pentax lens tho.

Thanks again for the help.