Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Poland, Świdnik
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 212
Is Sigma 17-50 f/2,8 EX DC HSM worth putting on k-x?

hi,

I have a problem with lens for k-x camera. I want to buy all around walking lens to change the 18-55 kit (and M50/1.7 that is used mostly for portraits).

I went through many topics and reviews of lens and i chose to buy: Sigma 17-50 f/2,8 EX DC HSM.
My question is: will this lens work fine with such old camera? Will the quality of photos on k-x increase enough to justify spending this much money? (In Poland the price is quite high - it is about half of my monthly salary)

Some time in the future i might change the camera but probably not until 2016, or even farther. So my question is about lens performance on k-x.

Also i know that M50/1.7 is a really great lens!! but my wife is even more impatient so the usage of manual lens for portraits is a little hard to be done.

I also checked the tamron 17-50 (20% cheaper), sigma 17-70 (20% more expensive), but from what i read the 17-50 is sharper from both of them.

Help please!

Greg

04-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,819
QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
hi,

I have a problem with lens for k-x camera. I want to buy all around walking lens to change the 18-55 kit (and M50/1.7 that is used mostly for portraits).

I went through many topics and reviews of lens and i chose to buy: Sigma 17-50 f/2,8 EX DC HSM.
My question is: will this lens work fine with such old camera? Will the quality of photos on k-x increase enough to justify spending this much money? (In Poland the price is quite high - it is about half of my monthly salary)

Some time in the future i might change the camera but probably not until 2016, or even farther. So my question is about lens performance on k-x.

Also i know that M50/1.7 is a really great lens!! but my wife is even more impatient so the usage of manual lens for portraits is a little hard to be done.

I also checked the tamron 17-50 (20% cheaper), sigma 17-70 (20% more expensive), but from what i read the 17-50 is sharper from both of them.

Help please!

Greg
A lens can't be too good for a camera To answer your question, yes, it would give you noticeably better image quality compared to the kit lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,494
It will definitely be better, by quite a margin. If it's "worth the money", well, that's a question only you can answer, really...

That said, from what I have read, the Tamron should be at least as good as the Sigma in image quality. But it is a lot more noisy when focusing. And it seems some people have problems with front/back focusing with the Tamron.
04-28-2014, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
Which of those three lenses is better for you I can't say, but they'll all give you significantly better photos than the 18-55 kit lens.


The K-x can take advantage of any quality lens you put on it. I didn't even bother to upgrade my K-x until after I had a quality set of lenses worth at least 5 times the original (new) price of the camera.

When I finally upgraded to the K-5 there was only a small additional improvement in IQ. I had already made all my IQ improvements when I got better lenses. In fact, it was only worthwhile upgrading the body because of the improved features and performance - not for the IQ improvement.

04-28-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Poland, Świdnik
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 212
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Which of those three lenses is better for you I can't say, but they'll all give you significantly better photos than the 18-55 kit lens.


The K-x can take advantage of any quality lens you put on it. I didn't even bother to upgrade my K-x until after I had a quality set of lenses worth at least 5 times the original (new) price of the camera.

When I finally upgraded to the K-5 there was only a small additional improvement in IQ. I had already made all my IQ improvements when I got better lenses. In fact, it was only worthwhile upgrading the body because of the improved features and performance - not for the IQ improvement.
Thanks a lot!! This is the answer i was waiting for.
Now that i have information from someone who already was in similar situation I just need to convince my wife

Thanks guys.
04-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,767
I had the same experience-the upgrade from KX to K-30 was a small IQ improvement. The lens makes a much bigger difference.

The reasons I upgraded were WR, focus peaking, better view finder and dual control wheels. The K-30 is a huge improvement in control scheme, but the IQ is close to the same.

To lower your cost, maybe try a used lens from here on the forum. The Tamron and Sigma are often available in the marketplace, try searching. I've been pleased with every used lens I've gotten here.
04-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oracle, Az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It will definitely be better, by quite a margin. If it's "worth the money", well, that's a question only you can answer, really...

That said, from what I have read, the Tamron should be at least as good as the Sigma in image quality. But it is a lot more noisy when focusing. And it seems some people have problems with front/back focusing with the Tamron.
Originally I bought the Sigma 17-50 for my K20, I found it to be no better than my 18-55 rendering images. I took it back and got the Tamron 17-50 which was a whole lot better than the Sigma and is used on my K3 and K5 today. I have not experienced noisy focusing or front/back focusing with it on the K20, K7, K5, or K3.
04-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Originally I bought the Sigma 17-50 for my K20, I found it to be no better than my 18-55 rendering images. I took it back and got the Tamron 17-50 which was a whole lot better than the Sigma and is used on my K3 and K5 today. I have not experienced noisy focusing or front/back focusing with it on the K20, K7, K5, or K3.
It's partly a matter of personal preference, but the Tamron 17-50 is considered better by many (possibly most?) forum members, and would have been my choice too if I didn't buy the Pentax lens instead. There was an official comparison and review here on the forum a while back. Even though the Sigma was declared the winner, and it's a good lens, many Pentaxians still decided they prefer the Tamron or Pentax in real life shooting.

www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-16-50-vs-sigma-tamron-17-50mm/introduction.html


Last edited by DSims; 04-28-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, change, dc, dc hsm, k-mount, k-x, lens, m50/1.7, pentax lens, portraits, question, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS mtroute Sold Items 5 03-31-2013 03:19 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM adpo Sold Items 2 02-11-2013 10:52 PM
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM price ? Matchete Ask B&H Photo! 2 12-21-2012 09:04 AM
if price equal, used DA*16-50 or new Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM bgdisc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 10-18-2012 06:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top