Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The DA35/2.4 is pretty ideal as a first prime because of its characteristics.
Which include being very affordable.

05-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would almost never choose the 40mm as a walk around over the 21mm (i have both)...... I'd get the 21 first and then the 40 when I cold afford it. A second hand SMC 21 might be affordable.
05-25-2014, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

For city stuff I;m a 50mm user most of the time, but I also tend to shoot more details rather than overall items (ie: a doorway rather than the whole building)

Film I tend to decide ahead of time and go with either a 50, or the 28 F2.8
The 28 is great on film, but not so much on digital, too wide to be normal, too narrow to be wide.
05-25-2014, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #34
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Plenty of good advice here. I don't think anyone can tell you what focal length will suit you best; some will prefer a 21, others a 70.

For me, the main thing I dislike with the FA28 and FA43 (and the DA35/2.4) is the lack of Quick Shift. That, and a distance scale, would for me be reasons to go for a DA Limited for street photography. I think the 40 or the 21 would both be excellent as a first prime.

That said, my first auto focus prime was the 35/2.4, and I find that to be an excellent lens. It wouldn't be my first pick for street shooting, though.

Whatever you choose for a first prime you'll soon have to figure out what the next one will be

05-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, so 40mm XS has the same image quality as ltd.? I like how small is the XS and cheaper as well but I think that I'll buy the 35mm eventually cause, as you said, It's super affordable and as a student I don't have that much money + it's f/2.4.

And one more question: did Zeiss ever produced lens for K-mount? I have a little fetish for German products and I would once like to buy one of the Zeiss lenses .
Thank you.
05-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Primes are not universal by their very nature.

Something in the 21 range allows you to be close enough but far enough...across the sidewalk.
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #37

It depends on what you're planning to shoot and in what kind of conditions.

If you're planning on people and street fashion I might go a bit longer so you don't need to get up in peoples grill. 55-100mm (approximately)

If you're planning cityscape and street scenes I would go as wide as you can. 15mm

I use both my 43mm and 15mm for shooting in the city but the 15mm is way more useful if the light conditions are good (basically good until sundown).

05-26-2014, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Elger Quote
Ok, so 40mm XS has the same image quality as ltd.? .
I have to wonder if the people saying this owned both or are just parroting something they heard. The 40 XS I owned had much stronger purple fringing than my 40 Ltd (which has virtually none). I believe the difference in PF is also reflected in the Pentax Forums In-Depth review. Build quality is definitely in the Limited's favour, but the main difference in construction for me was the filter size. Most of my primes are 49mm filter size, and I like that because I can share ancillaries (adapters, filters, hoods). The 40 XS needs a hood and it can't use the nifty little 40 Limited hood, which overturns the size advantage (caveat, I believe ALL lenses need a hood, all the time).

The 40mm Ltd is amazing for landscapes with its punchy colour and contrast, but I don't consider it a good all-rounder. I much prefer my FA 35mm f2 for its extra stop of speed, smoother bokeh and more versatile focal length. The DA 35mm f2.4 is nearly as nice as the FA 35. The DA 35mm f2.4 is the one I recommend if you can't afford the FA 35 (or FA 31 ).

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-27-2014 at 07:11 AM.
05-26-2014, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big fan of the 21, myself. It's sharp, lightweight and discreet. Then add a 70/2.4 and you're pretty much set for life. Well, until you need to buy the 15/4.

The 70 and either of the other two make a dynamite travel combo -- one lens on the camera and one in a jacket pocket. Also good for events where you want to shoot a little but don't want to be the photographer.
05-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Ok, so 40mm XS has the same image quality as ltd.? I like how small is the XS and cheaper as well but I think that I'll buy the 35mm eventually cause, as you said, It's super affordable and as a student I don't have that much money + it's f/2.4.

And one more question: did Zeiss ever produced lens for K-mount? I have a little fetish for German products and I would once like to buy one of the Zeiss lenses .
Thank you.
How about this beauty? Carl Zeiss 100mm F2 ZK Makro-Planar T* Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-26-2014, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Thank you.
Zeiss used to make many of their lenses in ZK mount but they were not very popular as the Pentax FA limiteds are equally as awesome and have autofocus. Of course once you have the three amigos (as the fa LTDs are known around here) then chasing a few Zeiss gems is a worthwhile pursuit. I've always liked the photos from the Zeiss 28/2.
05-27-2014, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

I recommend to just buy one and see what works best for you. There's no one size fit all. People diss the 40mm focal length but I find it almost perfect for my use, and the xs version is so cheap there's no reason to not own it at least to try

The 21 and 15 is on my to buy list however, someday
05-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think it might just be. From time to time I use an film SLR Zenit E I have after my grandpa and it has Helios M42 58mm f/2 lens. I find it quite close but It forces me to think about the shot more and at the end I got a few pretty damn good photos from it. So my thoughts are that the 40mm on APS-C sensored Pentax should be aprox. the same but as I tried to set my kit-lens to 40mm it was significantly wider while I looked through the viewfinder than it was while looking through the Zenit's with 58mm on, can anyone explain why?

Last edited by John Elger; 05-27-2014 at 01:27 PM.
05-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Most of my street/city work these days is on one of two lenses... my "Mistress" (SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) or my "Good Lady" (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8).

It really so much depends on your style, what your shooting and how comfortable you are doing it, at given distances to subject. No rights or wrong, it's what works for you.
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #45
Site Supporter

I own both the 40 XS and 40 Limited. Image quality is exactly the same. What isn't the same is what it sounds like focusing. The XS sounds like a torture machine when it is focusing. It is very loud, and I would think it would give you away for street photography. Also, the 40 Limited has quick shift, which I could see being useful.