Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do you know if your lens is focusing right?

I bought a 17-70 Sigma DC lens awhile ago. It takes very good pictures up close but anything longer just isn't as sharp to me. It's not bad but It seems to me it should be better. I use it on a K200. Is there a card that I can shoot to see how the focus is or are there other ways? How long does Sigma warranty the lens and will they recalibrate it if it needs it?

I'm still a bit of a newbie with slr's and need help at times.

Thanks

04-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
try this
test chart

http://www.focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf
04-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hmcfly Quote
I bought a 17-70 Sigma DC lens awhile ago. It takes very good pictures up close but anything longer just isn't as sharp to me. It's not bad but It seems to me it should be better. I use it on a K200. Is there a card that I can shoot to see how the focus is or are there other ways? How long does Sigma warranty the lens and will they recalibrate it if it needs it?

I'm still a bit of a newbie with slr's and need help at times.

Thanks
I would post a sample of your photos, including the EXIF data (i.e. shutter speed and fstop etc)

I guess the question is, if it takes good photos up close, will testing using a focusing chart actually help.

SHow us what is wrong in a photo.
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are two I took on Vacation The first one is focused on the men in the dock.
The second one is focused on thatched hut. It may just be me but they don't looked real focused or it's the way I'm taking them. I use Point and shoot most times on the P mode. The last one looks better in focus than the others but it's lots closer

Attached Images

04-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't help you much w/o checking the gears in person but there are 2 possible reasons that any lens might not AF as expected. 1) Each AF sensor of any Pentax DSLRs covers quite a large area and is attracted to higher contrast (and often the background), 2) the AF sensor might not be centred perfectly. What these mean is that the camera might AF properly but not seeing what you think it is seeing.