Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
The biggest complaint about this lens is CA, the sharpness of the lens is its strength. So, i thought i would post a sample of a shot with purple fringe (200% crop), the corrected shot and where to go to learn to do it.
"The nature of purple fringing makes it amazingly simple to remove. The color range within the fringe is fairly narrow and in most cases it occurs at boundaries between dark and bright areas of the image. You could try using the Auto-Levels or Auto-Color functions, but these tend to make things worse. There is a faster and better way — the Hue/Saturation/Lightness (HSL) tool. PhotoShop isn't the only software package that provides a HSL tool. Different packages (e.g. Adobe Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro) will have different instruction for using the tool. Since PhotoShop is what I use, I'll detail its use, but other packages should follow a similar process."

Go here to see how a minute or 2 of post processing will correct purple fringeing:

Remove Purple Fringing From Your Photographs
Much thanks for the link and I also tried out on purple fringing removal with some old but free tool that I have. I used XnViewer and pfree photoshop filter. I can't afford to buy photoshop, and here is a sample of trying out on pfree photoshop filter

The above picture has roughly this exif:

1/180 sec, f/5.6, 220mm, iso 200
after PF removeal

Had I used f/8.0 instead, I might have less PF. The problem with PF/CA is not happening on all pictures, I will say, it happens to 15% of my pictures and I can learn to avoid it. I will go through you link and learn about the process. As many have commented, it is annoying but a fixable problem.

Last edited by hinman; 04-25-2008 at 06:55 PM.
04-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

These are great shots Hin ... and I am amazed at the Macro quality from this lens also.
I should have bought this lens instead of the FAJ 75-300mm ... I might end up selling it and finding a tammy 70-300 if i can .... it looks to be a great all-round lens.

I can tell you though ... i am looking forward to the 70-200 f/2.8 lens though ... especially matched with my Tamron x1.4 TC. I think that's going to be my next purchase.
04-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Thats a great pic. The free programs you are using do an excellent job. I managed to get photoshop off ebay cheap or i wouldn't be using it either
cough, cough, (* utorrent *), cough, (* isoHunt *), cough...

'Scuse me, sorry. Anyway, great pictures Hinman, and I love the bokeh in those 'critter on rock' pictures. Stunning effect.