Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tamron 70-300 Di Close Up Test Shots

I know many threads already discussed about this lens and today I find my lunch break to try out the close up flower shots with my Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro on flowers

Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

#5 lose detail & texture on this

I have two other manual close up lens that are quite good on flowers and bugs but I find the Tamron quite capable, sharp and really great for its price.

Last edited by hinman; 04-24-2008 at 06:08 PM.
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice indeed That really is quite impressive for an inexpensive lens.

Mine is on order, along with the Sigma 180mm Macro prime. I think between those two, and my existing Tamron SP90 Macro, I've got it all covered!!

Are those shots cropped, or as shot?

I see no real sign of PF - maybe the newer Tamron 70-300 copies have fixed this problem. The pics put up by Jay Sherman on another thread are also remarkably free of PF, and his is a new lens.

Here's hoping that mine will be a good copy.
04-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hin, as usual, brilliant. #4 knocks me out, but great ladybug capture too.

04-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Very nice indeed That really is quite impressive for an inexpensive lens.

Mine is on order, along with the Sigma 180mm Macro prime. I think between those two, and my existing Tamron SP90 Macro, I've got it all covered!!

Are those shots cropped, or as shot?

I see no real sign of PF - maybe the newer Tamron 70-300 copies have fixed this problem. The pics put up by Jay Sherman on another thread are also remarkably free of PF, and his is a new lens.

Here's hoping that mine will be a good copy.
These shots are NOT cropped, straight from JPG with K10D in bright image tone with +2 on sharpness, -1 on saturation on some of them, -0.3 to -0.7 Ev compensation and PP in picasa

Specifically, I tried to do the following to avoid Purple Fringe as I do run into purple fringe with this lens:
  • I use f/8.0 and f/11 and avoid direct sun lit area
  • I purposely use a darker contrast with -0.3 and -0.7 Ev compensation in various shots
  • I use -1 saturation on the red and intense red flower
  • I pp on Picasa to raise up 'Shadow' to hide the background and raise up contrast in tone but not to clip highlights

Purple fringe won't go away on this lens but I find it easier to deal with than an unsharp picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hin, as usual, brilliant. #4 knocks me out, but great ladybug capture too.
Thanks for the kind comments. I would love to have a true macro 1:1 like your Kiron or Vivitar S1 at some time but for now, I am very happy with my inexpensive gear. I may go about getting some extension tubes to work with my Pentax K 100mm f/4.0 and Pentax A 50mm f/2.8. I have not been a Macro/Close up on photos and your postings on the forum has a positive influence on me and others -- thanks to you.

Last edited by hinman; 04-24-2008 at 07:31 PM.
04-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Mine should be here anyday now.....I can't wait!

#4 is just an incredible shot...
04-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Hin! Really great shots!
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Groovy, nice shots

My Tammy 70-300 Di LD comes in tomorrow, I can't wait! My first lens past the kit 18-55.

As for the PF -- it doesn't bug me too much, as Photoshop is pretty good getting around that aspect. As long as the pictures are sharp and even remotely exposed, magical software does the rest
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Those are very nice shots. I've to admit that I didn't expect the Tamron to have this kind of result.

04-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hin, just..how many lenses do you have now??? LoL. (I'm getting the feeling your lens cabinent is getting awfully full.)
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Hin, just..how many lenses do you have now??? LoL. (I'm getting the feeling your lens cabinent is getting awfully full.)
I know, I am in full swing in buying a couple of months ago and it took me 5 months to have used every lens that I have accumulated. It is such a shame that I have reasonable good lens and still lurking for more. What was I thinking! I raised a LBA/CBA challenge in photo.net to challenge everyone with no new lens/camera for 3 months and we started the game on 4/16/08 after tax date, detail in this photo.net thread:

LBA/CBA game -- the Seinfield style - Photo.net Pentax Forum

And I have been working hard not to have any gear unused and I am drafting plans to trim my gear. I am proud for the last two weeks with 0 watchlist in ebay and no going to marketplace and I hope I can stick to my plan of no new gear and trim the unused gear

Hin's Camera Gear - Hin's Tech Corner

To fight with my LBA, I do this:
  • Focus on picture taking instead of gear hunting
  • When temptation comes, I fight with my existing gear
  • Reinvent myself with just plain old gear
  • Avoid Ebay and Marketplace, focus on learning

And thank you all for the kind comments
04-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

AWESOME IMAGE CAPTURES....WOW!!!
04-25-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

NO's 2,3 and 4 are standouts.

I had reservations on this lens but I swing in the Tammy 70-300

cheers
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Great pics all around. 3 and 4 are amazing
Much thanks, my favorite are also on 3 and 4, but the ladybug takes away the charm from the Rose.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
AWESOME IMAGE CAPTURES....WOW!!!
It is an honor to get this from you, my humble reply and thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
NO's 2,3 and 4 are standouts.

I had reservations on this lens but I swing in the Tammy 70-300

cheers
I personally like the Tamron as I also have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which is great for portrait. The other good choice would be the Sigma 70-300 APO, even non-APO are nice. Since I had good impressions on Tamron with 28-75 f/2.8, I swing to the Tammy.

When Tamron comes out with 10-24 and the current release of 17-50 f/2.8 and the upcoming 70-200 f/2.8, there is plenty to think about.
04-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Truly beautiful shots. Hin. Love the ladybeetle shot.
This shows the capability of this inexpensive lens. I have owned one for some time and find it a very vital part of my kit.
Much is said about the PF. I find it is not so much a trouble unless the conditions are rather bright and glary.
i.e reflection of the sun of water, or someone else mention of the snow.
04-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The biggest complaint about this lens is CA, the sharpness of the lens is its strength. So, i thought i would post a sample of a shot with purple fringe (200% crop), the corrected shot and where to go to learn to do it.
"The nature of purple fringing makes it amazingly simple to remove. The color range within the fringe is fairly narrow and in most cases it occurs at boundaries between dark and bright areas of the image. You could try using the Auto-Levels or Auto-Color functions, but these tend to make things worse. There is a faster and better way the Hue/Saturation/Lightness (HSL) tool. PhotoShop isn't the only software package that provides a HSL tool. Different packages (e.g. Adobe Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro) will have different instruction for using the tool. Since PhotoShop is what I use, I'll detail its use, but other packages should follow a similar process."

Go here to see how a minute or 2 of post processing will correct purple fringeing:

Remove Purple Fringing From Your Photographs

third pic is a macro shot

Last edited by ivoire; 04-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.