Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Using Filters at * lenses

Hello All,

Are you using UV filters at * lenses and do you have a special brand.

And when there is a UV lens at the lens is there much degradation?

regards Walter

01-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #2

Itīs most for protection of lenses and donīt degrade the picture if you use a good one like B&W;s best or Hoya pro1.
01-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

yeah I second that.

B&W or Hoya pro 1 definitely work quite well. I use them to protect the front element.

I do use Tiffen Neutral density filters to saturate colour with long exposure. It works well too.
01-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

i find that hoya's HMC line of filters are great and substantially less expensive than their pro line. i've been using these folks forever and highly recommend them
CameraGear.com - Official Site

01-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UV lens

Something I read a long time ago has stuck with me
"better the cost of a UV filter than the cost of a lens!."
I have always added UV filter to my lens for protection sake.
A very wise investment and its only a short while and you forget that it is there. Does not detract at all from the end result. I advise adding Uv filters to you lens.
Cheers!!
01-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Sorry I cut myself short:
I have always stayed with Hoya and found them of very good quality.
01-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #7

Currently using Hoya Pro Digital UVs as they are the very narrow ones that (usually) don't show up when used on wide or ultra-wide lenses. People say they're a waste. All I can say is that twice in the last few years, slips on wet rocks that caused me to fall with camera in hand resulted in 2 lost UV filters and NO lost lenses! In both cases, the cost was under $40 per filter vs. at least $600 per lens! You do THAT math!
Rob
01-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

agreed...

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Currently using Hoya Pro Digital UVs as they are the very narrow ones that (usually) don't show up when used on wide or ultra-wide lenses. People say they're a waste. All I can say is that twice in the last few years, slips on wet rocks that caused me to fall with camera in hand resulted in 2 lost UV filters and NO lost lenses! In both cases, the cost was under $40 per filter vs. at least $600 per lens! You do THAT math!
Rob
All of my lenses have something - my learning experience years ago was coming down Whiteface mountain in NY state - slipped and fell...

nice crunching sound of glass...

Lens was fine...

01-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I've had too many lenses scream "freedom or death!" and jump out of my hands to their demise. All my lenses have a filter on them.

If you own a * lens, you do not want to tempt Fate.
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Argh.

I have two lenses with, two without. Makes no difference. Someone asked "who ever busted a filter, or had a lens get dinged without one?" (I paraphrase). Answer ...exactly 1 person, and it was at a muddy rally race when some particle got flung into it.

I post this link to the ultimate filter yes/no thread.

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't have filters on most of my lenses, but I use them on the best of the best since they greatly help protect the front element, whether you're aware of it or not. Sometimes, it's good to just let the filter block small dust that would otherwise have to be blown away regularly...

Just my $0.02

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
DAP

using filters at * lenses

I've used a bunch of different brands, but Heliopans are my favorites followed by B+W. Both have Multi-coated versions if you want the best (and are willing to spend for it - I get by with the standard versions). I know that Pentax makes their own SMC filters - never tried one though so I can't comment on the build quality.