Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Aha! I knew they would come out of the woodwork!

Some people just can't get around CA/PF, but to most folks (IMO,) that just doesn't matter nearly as much as sharpness/contrast/bokeh.
While CA and PF aren't the end of the world, some lenses are more prone to it than others. I gave up on the FA 77 and went with the DA 70 and my old Jupiter 9 (believe it or not ... less prone to CA/PF than the 77).

The DA 70 has wonderful sharpness, contrast, and bokeh ... just without as much CA/PF. Of course, the 77 has the advantages of a faster aperture and aperture dial ... but neither of those things mattered as much to me since the DA70 is sharper wide open, has equally impressive bokeh, and and I don't have to post process CA/PF as much.

In any case, the 77 is still a great lens.

04-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
While CA and PF aren't the end of the world, some lenses are more prone to it than others. I gave up on the FA 77 and went with the DA 70 and my old Jupiter 9 (believe it or not ... less prone to CA/PF than the 77).

The DA 70 has wonderful sharpness, contrast, and bokeh ... just without as much CA/PF. Of course, the 77 has the advantages of a faster aperture and aperture dial ... but neither of those things mattered as much to me since the DA70 is sharper wide open, has equally impressive bokeh, and and I don't have to post process CA/PF as much.

In any case, the 77 is still a great lens.

I'd like to get both the Jupiter 9 and the DA 70... I just can't justify having both the 77 and DA 70. At least until someone starts posting really, really incredible shots that make the lens irresistible... then, all bets are off. Doesn't take much with me.

Re the Jupiter 9 - isn't that the lens that's often rebuilt by people? If so, I'd like to make sure
what I'm buying was put back together correctly... Is there a good place to find those?

(to the other poster - what's "loCA" - Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration or some such?)

04-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #18

04-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd like to get both the Jupiter 9 and the DA 70... I just can't justify having both the 77 and DA 70. At least until someone starts posting really, really incredible shots that make the lens irresistible... then, all bets are off. Doesn't take much with me.

Re the Jupiter 9 - isn't that the lens that's often rebuilt by people? If so, I'd like to make sure
what I'm buying was put back together correctly... Is there a good place to find those?

(to the other poster - what's "loCA" - Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration or some such?)
I'll try to resist the urge to post images from the DA 70.

As for the Jupiter, you are correct. Many rebuilt copies of the Jupiter 9 show up on Ebay and the two most common "mistakes" that amateur repairmen make are putting too much oil on the diaphragm blades and reversing the aperture ring (so f/2 is actually f/16 and f/16 is actually f/2).

My early copy of the Jupiter 9 has both these problems but it still works fabulously ... and it's a great copy of the lens because it's reasonably sharp wide open. Most of the Jupiter 9 lenses tend to be soft wide open and it's just blind luck if you get one that's pretty sharp wide open. All of the Jupiter 9 lenses (even the less than stellar copies) are fabulous stopped down.

As for a good place to buy them, there are a few online retailers that specialize in Russian lenses that sell new (or newer) Jupiter 9 lenses that haven't been rebuilt. You can take your chances on ebay like I did, but you never know what you'll end up with. (Of course, how's that any different than what it's like trying to buy a good copy of the DA* 16-50?)

04-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
does the 77 CA disappear at smaller apertures? Right now i think i'm set on a 77; i'd like to get a DA 70 but the thought of FF always enters my head; i know people have tried the DA70 on Film SLRs and it's turned out ok, but i'm still skeptical on things like vignetting and corner resolution. and in terms of size the 70 with the hood isn't much smaller than the 77.
04-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Is that how they perform population control where you live, Jay?

It's actually amazing how quickly a 6 month old recovers from being dunked like that -
they seem to instinctively wiggle-swim their way back up. It looks really funny - they
pop up crying the first couple times, but after that they act like pros. That was pretty
hard for mom to watch, though, at first.

04-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Yea

Longitudinal CA. I find it annoying at times. Take the 43mm limited as a counter point to the 77. It has a ton of standard CA, but not much LoCA and doesn't bug me at all. Where as the 77 has LoCA but not much CA and might bug me.

That being said, I do not mean to discredit the lens. It can produce some very special photos.
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

.(also - I apologize if this thread inflames someone's dormant LBA and forces them to hit Adorama for the 77ltd, but hey, it's a dangerous world.)
I hate you, J.

04-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If you want good deals on all the FA limited lenses, check out Prodigital 2000:
eBay Store - Prodigital2000: Pentax: PENTAX smc FA 77mm F1.8 LIMITED BLACK BRAND NEW IN BOX

Heather
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I don't see what you're talking about. Care to explain? My 77mm never suffered from this and I have other Pentax lenses that don't as well.
Well I just saw the purple edge on the log on photo 2. My DFA 100 marco has CA in wide open, FA 50 has CA in wide open, so as FA 35. Those purple fringing sometime green in high contrast conditions :ugh:

Not that I can't live with them, just pull/push so lever in RAW editor and it is good and I always want the FA 77.
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Did some shooting with the S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4 and 77ltd yesterday. Although I think the Tak is one of my favorite lenses, the 77ltd still holds the crown for bokeh and specular highlights, and probably center sharpness:

06-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I can't afford the 77. I can't afford the 77. I can't afford the 77.

....but, I waaaaaaaaant it.

But, I can't afford it (right now).

c[_]