Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #16
Forum Member

FA 35mm

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
FA 35 f/2 leaps to mind for ~$300.
I agree that the FA 35mm should fit your needs very well.

- $300 price tag
- f/2 is fast enough for indoor shots
- 35mm is a good range for indoors and outdoors

Here's one indoor portrait of my grandmother and a random street portrait of some guy (NO RELATION)

04-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
f8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I second that! It is a bargain as well!
I'd call it a steal... Retail price at around 330-350eur you cannot beat this one..!
04-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens...a MONSTER of a lens. Sometimes TOO sharp...It made my "Brutally" sharp category.

Ben
04-25-2008, 02:51 AM   #19
hll

i would buy a 28-75!!

04-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

HAHA AWESOME!
04-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In reading the replies, I see a lot of different recomendations, all of which have merit.

However, in many instances, the "old school" thinking is to have a longer than normal lens, in most cases, as this tends to flatten the image somewhat, as opposed to wider angle lenses which can exagerate images and physical features.

This leads me to believe that you should be looking to a lens longer than "normal" or longer specifically than 35 mm (in todays ASP-C format).

the old favourites were 77 mm and 85mm, or 100 mm. In fact these still give very nice results. but today, the best equivelent lens might be 50mm, and these can be as fast as F1.2 (rare and expensive) or F1.4 (in manual lenses extremely inexpensive and common)

Primes are better than zooms because primes have larger maximum apature for the best control of DOF. and some lenses, like the tamron 28-75 F2.8 might be so sharp that you will actually spend more time post processing to unsharpen the image.

Auto focus is not critical, because for portraits, you are talking about mostly deliberately posed. you have all the time you need to focus.
04-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In reading the replies, I see a lot of different recomendations, all of which have merit.

However, in many instances, the "old school" thinking is to have a longer than normal lens, in most cases, as this tends to flatten the image somewhat, as opposed to wider angle lenses which can exagerate images and physical features.

This leads me to believe that you should be looking to a lens longer than "normal" or longer specifically than 35 mm (in todays ASP-C format).

the old favourites were 77 mm and 85mm, or 100 mm. In fact these still give very nice results. but today, the best equivelent lens might be 50mm, and these can be as fast as F1.2 (rare and expensive) or F1.4 (in manual lenses extremely inexpensive and common)

Primes are better than zooms because primes have larger maximum apature for the best control of DOF. and some lenses, like the tamron 28-75 F2.8 might be so sharp that you will actually spend more time post processing to unsharpen the image.

Auto focus is not critical, because for portraits, you are talking about mostly deliberately posed. you have all the time you need to focus.
In a controlled situation with good lighting, you're totally correct. I rather favored the old Vivitar 135mm prime for color, bokeh, narrow DOF. It was a bit too long in some cases and 30 years later I still have it, but there are better choices in my bag. A wedding is generally everything but ideal. Weddings will require some portraits, but you also have a lot of group shots, and inside a church or reception hall the lighting is, um.... shall we say, 'challenging'.

Get an A series 50mm for bride/groom & parents portraits, and maybe for inside shots during the ceremony & reception. A fast zoom like that Tamron could prove useful, but how is it in poor lighting?

Interesting that I came across this thread too. Yesterday I was looking at a photographers web site and clicked on the 'Wedding' portfolio. I have never seen such a bunch of crap in all my life. The pictures were HORRIBLE!! I can't believe people would pay for that work! That photographer musta had some gigantic hooters 'cause her pictures couldn't sell a gig.
04-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi!

As low cost solution, I would also suggest the Sigma DG 24-60mm 1.2:8 EX. Having nice focal length range, constant aperture, and bokeh suitable for portraits. This lens is selling now for very nice discount prices (check Cameta camera's ebay-store).

Two examples taken with the lens from yesterday. Ok, it's a horse, but makes nicer subject than many people

http://www.kolumbus.fi/veijo.matikainen/Galleriat/Sekalaiset/HorsePortrait1.jpg

http://www.kolumbus.fi/veijo.matikainen/Galleriat/Sekalaiset/HorsePortrait2.jpg