Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Takumar to Nikon adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have an old Takumar 1.4 screw mount (50mm I think) lens on a Spotmatic II body that I would like to use on a new Nikon D3200 body.
1. Can this be done?
2. What/where would an adapter be available?
3. I'm not an experienced user but I suspect that I would only be able to use this in manual, correct?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
jdrobone

04-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon's distance from mount to sensor is longer than the M42 standard. It's not a lot different but just enough to keep the lens from focusing to infinity. That keeps interest in M42 lenses low among Nikon users. You either have to live with only focusing to several feet, or find an adapter that corrects for it.
04-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. There is a Kood adapter with a good quality lens for infinity focus. I have used one on a D2X with good results.
04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, on the D3200 you will not get any metering as the D3200 light meter needs a cpu lens to function.

04-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Takumar Lens Usage

Thanks for the replies.
I really like my old lenses, like the 1.4 SMC Takumar so I want to use them on my purchase of a new digital camera.
I last used the Spotmatic II a few years back and have been using a cheap Nikon Koolpix but wanted something better to take to Alaska with me.
A friend recommended the K-5 (I believe that's what he said). Does this sound like a good idea?
I will be taking mostly landscapes and portraits, etc consistent with traveling.
Thanks in advance.
J
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I think the K-5 in any version will suit your needs very well. They are also a good value now and show up in the Marketplace from time to time. It's best to use a genuine Pentax M42 adapter as some of the cheaper ones don't fit well. I have four M42 Takumars that I like using on my DSLRs. Just my two cents.
04-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Yes. There is a Kood adapter with a good quality lens for infinity focus. I have used one on a D2X with good results.
In looking at this , I cannot see any optical elements in it, and therefore it must rely on recessing the lens into the adaptor. This means only very small diameter lenses would be useable because as others have noted, the Nikon system registry is longer than pentax, meaning the infinity focus would be lost.

If there are optical elements it would turn the adaptor into a teleconverters. Just like the canon and Nikon to pentaxK adaptors.

04-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not in this case. There is a lens in the adapter to provide for infinity focus. Nikon D2X, S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4.

05-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys, now I'm looking into getting a K-5 IIs,
I'm thinking it will only work with my Takuma lens in manual mode but I can live with that.
Only thing holding me back is the cost of the basic lens - over a thousand bucks!
Ouch. Bit much for an amateur but I want something I can grow into, so to speak.
J
05-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jdrobone Quote
Only thing holding me back is the cost of the basic lens - over a thousand bucks!
The DA* 16-50 F/2.8? Tamron and Sigma both make less expensive 17-50 F/2.8s, they aren't all weather like the DA*, but still good lenses.

DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

There are other alternatives as well. The DA 16-45 F/4 is no longer made, but easily found on the used market. The DA 18-55 WR is the basic kit lens. Good enough stopped down a bit. The 18-135 WR is slightly better than the 18-55 but priced a bit high IMO.

Better yet, several primes to compliment the Takumar.
05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 IIs is a great choice. Using your Takumar might be easier than you might think. Here are some good ideas for using manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs. Enjoy your new purchase.