Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'm ready for that day, should that day come.
Testing out whether brake lining is still up to manufacturer's' spec isn't to be recommended.

04-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
True, but I would not give the analogy much more than a C. B- at best.
If you just had your glass inspected and you were subsequently fatally wounded by blow dart passing through as if it were am open door, you might be a wee-bit pissed off. I would suspect a lawsuit would be in order upon such a dramatic failure as well.

I agree. No guarantees.
But the amount of rain in my instance should not have caused the damage incurred unless the seals were all but missing.

Pentax's advertising is darned near fraud when you look at the camera's manual where it states explicitly that it can only withstand "mist".
Without an actual water-proof/resistance rating these claims are useless.

So, although in many cases you honestly can be in a hurricane, or in the desert throwing sand on your camera, and even rinse your Pentax camera with a garden hose without adverse effect... don't count on it.
And if you are caught in a light mist... don't count on it surviving that either because you'll simply be s--- out of luck if the camera fails.
but isn't their add similar to a lot of car adds. professional driver, closed course, do not try this stunt., or maybe a beer add, where it used to be implied you had a better life and more attractive friends , or became instantly popular if you drank one kind of beer.

let's face it. Adds are pretty difficult to nail down to specific measurable requirements
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
but isn't their add similar to a lot of car adds. professional driver, closed course, do not try this stunt., or maybe a beer add, where it used to be implied you had a better life and more attractive friends , or became instantly popular if you drank one kind of beer.
.. So now you're saying I should stop doing e-brake 180 parallel parking stunts to impress my better looking beer drinking friends?!?
04-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
.. So now you're saying I should stop doing e-brake 180 parallel parking stunts to impress my better looking beer drinking friends?!?
I don't think I quite said that but it's not a bad idea IMO

While we have all seen adds that show this,mi really don't think they imply anyone can do it, that's all.

As I said previously there are lots of people who have had the seals fail at some point. Ones I cited are the most insane, but there are others who have spent a whole day (12+ hours) in the rain, and come home on,y to have the camera fog internally and start malfunction the next day.

Another point to consider here is the duration of exposure. A single splash, the camera might survive, multiple splashes at a rate approaching continuous flow of water , perhaps not.

It needs a common sense approach . Really that is where I am coming from when I say you should consider it as insurance.

04-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you had a better life and more attractive friends , or became instantly popular if you drank one kind of beer.
So which brand do I need to drink?
05-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

You'd need to drink some think from a micro brewery. None of the macro brew swill.
05-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
You'd need to drink some think from a micro brewery. None of the macro brew swill.
But they don't guarantee a better life, more attractive friends, and instant popularity!

05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

True, but I would not give the analogy much more than a C. B- at best.
Excellent analogy, I would say.

Steve
05-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Excellent analogy, I would say.
Steve
Well, like they say... opinions are like a---h----. Everyone's got one... and they all stink.
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, like they say... opinions are like a---h----. Everyone's got one... and they all stink.
Indeed.

The effectiveness of water seals is always a factor of pressure and time. Given enough time, all seals will fail. Ditto for pressure. Repeated exposure to moderate pressure is basically the same as more pressure/time. I would expect that the seals on my two Pentax bodies are good for an incidental splash, but would likely fail with even partial immersion. Failure due to extended exposure to rain was well-documented back when the K10D and K20D were released. I don't have any sealed lenses and have not been shy about working in the rain or exposure to mist from waterfalls* and have not had any problems to date.

As mentioned above, I take reasonable precautions and basically use the camera in the same way as I traditionally have used my 35mm film SLRs. The seals are there as insurance.

Steve

* Both are common enough in my region.
05-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
So which brand do I need to drink?
Firestone Walker Wookie Jack.