Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel naked...

Bad news: I sold off just about all of my lenses. All I have left is the Sigma 24mm and Tele-Lentar 450mm......nothing in between!

Good news: I sold those lenses to buy the Tamron 70-300mm Di LD and Sigma 17-70mm lenses. Both are on order and will hopefully get here by Monday.

At least I have the F35-70mm for one more day since I won't be able to ship it until tomorrow. That had become my favorite lens, so at least we'll get to spend one more intimate night together before I ship her off into the night...

Once tomorrow gets here, I guess I'll be relegated to shooting landscapes/seascapes and birds for the rest of the weekend. Not that I'm complaining.....

04-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow talk about being bookended! I guess it's landscapes and wildlife till Monday!

NaCl(the top and the bottom)H2O
04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Bad news: I sold off just about all of my lenses. All I have left is the Sigma 24mm and Tele-Lentar 450mm......nothing in between!

Once tomorrow gets here, I guess I'll be relegated to shooting landscapes/seascapes and birds for the
rest of the weekend. Not that I'm complaining.....
What's the minimum focus distance for the Sigma 24? I think one of the best uses for a semi-wide angle
is up close shots of things - you get a lot more in the frame than a 50, for example, and up close, you
can get incredible resolution if your focus is on.

Sometimes people tend to tag 'wide angle' as landscape/architecture only, and it's not. Get up close to
someone or something, think about composition & framing, and shoot. It's one of the funnest ways to
use a 'wide angle'.

Taken with Vivitar 28mm:

16-50 @ 16mm:

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-25-2008 at 01:05 PM.
04-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
LDB
Forum Member

You could always talk on your shoe a little more than usual too.

04-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What's the minimum focus distance for the Sigma 24? I think one of the best uses for a semi-wide angle
is up close shots of things - you get a lot more in the frame than a 50, for example, and up close, you
can get incredible resolution if your focus is on.
Nice shots! I can get pretty close with the 24....about 3-4 inches from the front of the lens. It's a "macro" lens.

Here's a shot I took up close with it:

You can definitely fill a frame up close with it...
04-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm down to 3 lenses that I'm actually using and I don't feel naked. As I've been using them, I've started to wonder about whether I really need to add any more primes to the kit (other than the dedicated macro). Yesterday, my 17-70 impressed me all the more when I was able to use it on a tour of a small candy factory and get impressive interior pics without having to use a flash!

As a matter of fact, I'm beginning to consider picking up the Sigma 10-20, just so I'll have the extra wide end covered.

Heather
04-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You seem to have a change of philosophy regarding your gear and it is fun to think that you have chosen great lenses as well. Most clinical approach to lens buying for your all around photography.

Sigma 24mm is a stellar performer (After hearing good things about it from numerous pro travel shooters)

04-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i wanted to click on this post at work but it was blocked :P
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i wanted to click on this post at work but it was blocked :P
For a minute there, I thought you were serious!
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
For a minute there, I thought you were serious!
i am serious! hahaha the websense must not like the word naked
04-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Get a usb cable for your phone and surf wireless ...no more "web-non-sense". ...I'd do the same but, my workstation has a welder thats not hooked up to the net
04-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Get a usb cable for your phone and surf wireless ...no more "web-non-sense". ...I'd do the same but, my workstation has a welder thats not hooked up to the net
Where do you get one of these USB cables--from the cell phone store or a computer store? This might be a good solution for when I'm traveling and don't have access to a Wi-Fi network with my laptop. I don't come anywhere near using up all my cell phone minutes by yakking on it, but I would if I got a USB cable.

Heather
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Where do you get one of these USB cables--from the cell phone store or a computer store? This might be a good solution for when I'm traveling and don't have access to a Wi-Fi network with my laptop. I don't come anywhere near using up all my cell phone minutes by yakking on it, but I would if I got a USB cable.

Heather
Hi Heather,

Check the cell phone manufacturers website for the USB cable that you phone needs. Note the model down and go to the local cell shop and see if they have one or order it online.
04-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ahhh...the power of filtering software...yet another reason that filtering software is not perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You seem to have a change of philosophy regarding your gear and it is fun to think that you have chosen great lenses as well. Most clinical approach to lens buying for your all around photography.
Since I've realized my LADD problem, things have been a lot more peaceful in my life. I've come to the realization that I don't have to "keep up with the Joneses" in terms of which lenses I buy. What's most important is that what I do buy works for me and the way I shoot.

I still might add a couple of siblings to the 43 for a nice lightweight kit, but they'll be cheaper siblings--i.e. the FA28 ($250 or less) and the DA70.

Being able to travel with my kit has helped in the process.

Really, what's most important is not necessarily what gear you have, but the images you're able to produce with it.

Heather
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #15

Hey, is that Tele-Lentar 450 a screw mount or a K mount?

I've got one with what appears to be a screw mount, but haven't gotten the screw-K adapter to try it out yet.

How do you like it?