Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Scratched Takumar 85 1.9

Iíve been wanting this lens for time now and found someone selling his
for 60Ä (~80 usd) ó cheap BUT (yeah itís a big "but") the front element is quite scratched,
would you buy it?

Hope you can see the pic, not sure...

04-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks pretty scratched, but I highly doubt it will impact iq. Ive shot through fully fogged up lens' before and the quality was fine. You might get a flare, but these old lens have such terrible coatings, you need a hood anyways. Id buy
04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TJMag Quote
I’ve been wanting this lens for time now and found someone selling his for 60€ (~80 usd) — cheap BUT (yeah it’s a big "but") the front element is quite scratched, would you buy it?
I would snatch it for sure !! Perhaps try talk the seller into 55-50 range ? Anyway once you get it - all you need is to get the lens hood ( and on APCS DSLR it can be pretty deep ! ) - and you also can try and coat all the scratches in black marker or something black - and then wipe the excess off - this will generally prevent the loss of contrast from reflections and all the scratches will turn into 'dust' - which essentially will only reduce your speed by a tiny fraction, This trick I know from old old days and it was widely used to 'fix' scratched lenses.

Best of luck !
--manntax
04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
snip........- all you need is to get the lens hood ( and on APCS DSLR it can be pretty deep ! ) -
I use the one from a tak 200/4 on my 85/1.9 even though I have the correct hood for the lens

For the OP, I got my 85/1.9 about 4 years ago, for what I then thought was a very good price at $200CDN. This was for a near mint version. I would grab it at the price. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

04-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies.
I shall now pull out my negociating skills.

Thanks for the tip Manntax, I will definitly try if I get the lens.
04-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

you also can try and coat all the scratches in black marker or something black - and then wipe the excess off - this will generally prevent the loss of contrast from reflections and all the scratches will turn into 'dust' - which essentially will only reduce your speed by a tiny fraction, This trick I know from old old days and it was widely used to 'fix' scratched lenses.

Best of luck !
--manntax
I have never heard of the 'black marker' routine - it sounds like it could cause more problems than it cures. I could be wrong, though. We always used vaseline to fill scratches in filters, and occasionally if there was a deep scratch in a front lens element. If you want to attempt the black marker thing, I would definitely try it out on a scratched filter FIRST, and check the results. If they are just small surface scratches, I wouldn't bother. If they are deep enough to catch light, I would use vaseline to fill them (if you're shooting in a situation where flare is a problem).
04-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would snatch it for sure !! Perhaps try talk the seller into 55-50 range ? Anyway once you get it - all you need is to get the lens hood ( and on APCS DSLR it can be pretty deep ! ) - and you also can try and coat all the scratches in black marker or something black - and then wipe the excess off - this will generally prevent the loss of contrast from reflections and all the scratches will turn into 'dust' - which essentially will only reduce your speed by a tiny fraction, This trick I know from old old days and it was widely used to 'fix' scratched lenses.

Best of luck !
--manntax
+1 old trick

Also try India ink or black enamel paint. Get a very fine brush and cut off all the bristles but one or two. With the scratch covered you will have no loss of contrast.
04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That looks nasty. I wouldn't touch it. Waste of €60.

04-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That looks nasty. I wouldn't touch it. Waste of €60.
Nahh it looks nasty because it was clearly photographed to look as such . But in fact this lens will be gorgeous - as long as inside is clean AND rear glass is intact - this is what I would check and wouldn't worry about these micro scratches.

Apart from that if 60 Euro seems to much for you - check the marketplace - I think I saw exactly the same lens in mint condition for mere $ 500 +

--manntax
04-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That looks nasty. I wouldn't touch it. Waste of Ä60.
I agree. I wouldn't bother with it.
04-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
Didnít even had the chance "to bother with it".
Someone else got ahead of me...

Now I really want one. For 60Ä. Mint.
And two gorgeous models always following me around. Naked.
04-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TJMag Quote
Didn’t even had the chance "to bother with it". Someone else got ahead of me...
Yes it was a bargain in my books - as long as the inside and a rear lens are intact my gut tells me that this would produce some amazing shots ..

shame you got 'overtaken' though.. better luck next time !
--manntax