Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I do think the DA20-40 could be considered a traveler lens. I don't think the IQ matches most other Limited lenses (perhaps the DA40, which I've always considered the weakest anyway).

The DA*16-50 is far from a perfect lens (no lens of its class is), but I have no intention of trading it in for (or supplementing it with) a DA20-40 which seems to have been completely bypassed by the "pixie dust fairy."

But if you do get one, let us know what you think - I just haven't seen it in the photos, and I've been looking. I see IQ I'd expect from a Pentax zoom that would cost about half that price, at the most. Which is why some people still like it, I'm sure. The IQ is "good enough" for their standards, and it's small and well built, so they just live with the price. But if this is Ricoh's vision of the future, I'm worried.
The DA limiteds are just a little different. Slowish. Decent, but not great wide open. Nice build. Awesome flare resistance. Great colors. But, overall a tough sell against the faster lenses sold by other companies.

I just don't think the 20-40 differs that much from a lens like the DA 40 or the DA 15, which really should be shot at f4 and f8 respectively to get nice edge sharpness, but at the same time are very capable of really great results.

I do think Ricoh is working on glass in the background that they will reveal when the time comes -- probably a 24-70/70-200. But those aren't tough lenses. That track is blazed already and while Pentax may make slightly smaller lenses than other brands, otherwise, I wouldn't expect anything special from those.

It is the weird focal length, tiny, slowish lenses that make Pentax Pentax.

05-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I better join the party now... yes, Pentax lens now sucks; nothing like the cheap old Takumar lenses. Pentax is doomed...
05-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Pick apart the OP's ideas but maybe ignore the grammar. PF has many non-native English writers who contribute in a positive manner. The OP's English is better than my Korean(?).
05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pick apart the OP's ideas but maybe ignore the grammar. PF has many non-native English writers who contribute in a positive manner. The OP's English is better than my Korean(?).
I agree. The best way to deal with silliness to play it with a dead bat (sounds like a cue for a Monty Python joke) or ignore it. I've been known to get worked up over the casual misuse of an apostrophe, but let's not allow our sense of humour to run away into rampant ridicule of non-native English speakers.

05-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
OK, I've just decided the DA20-40 sucks, and based on my authoritative assessment of this lens we can all agree Pentax' doom is imminent ...

Now I've made two posts that don't contribute in a positive manner.

I think it's possible to reach a point where one opens himself up to all kinds of ridicule - if his content had been just a little more reasonable this never would have happened.

Having said this, I'll withdraw my previous similar but grammatically poor post. Especially since I saw merit in one of the OPs observations.

Last edited by DSims; 05-01-2014 at 03:11 PM.
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Having said this, I'll withdraw my previous similar but grammatically poor post. Especially since I saw merit in one of the OPs observations.
I on the other hand refuse to cow tow to some politically correct Pollyanna's. (Said in an Australian accent)
05-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Which are more suck: DA Limited or DA*?

05-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I on the other hand refuse to cow tow to some politically correct Pollyanna's. (Said in an Australian accent)
In between towing cows and deploying dead cats (sorry, bats) I think this thread's about run its course, cobber.
05-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone set us up the bomb

Yeah, that's about the level of thrashing I accepted last time.

Here's the Wiki post about my Reply - a famous, 15 year old internet meme. No personal harm intended. Just poking an overgeneralized post.

I guess you had to be there. So OK. boriscleto™. There. Fixed now.

All your base are belong to us
05-01-2014, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Lets just put this one out of its misery, eh?
closed
Closed Thread