Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 40mm Ltd... on 35 mm Fuji Velvia 100

Mounted a DA 40 on a beginner grade Pentax SLR (MZ - 50), and here are the results. The DA 40 seems to be full frame compatible (vignetting seems to be absent, and there's no significant distortion)

No PP or cropping, just rotation of the photos to the right orientation. Weather wasnt that good, that's why the colours are quite washed out, for slide film

04-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots. Film really brings out the beauty of this lens. Love the 3D look.
04-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very strong contrast.

The feel that I miss a lot fom the film days.

Some fringeing in the frist shots around the leaves?
04-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

nice photos!
but is it just me, or is there some drop off in sharpness in the corners

04-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photos!
but is it just me, or is there some drop off in sharpness in the corners
I rather thought so when I looked at the picture of the statue sitting on the bench, the grass at the edges vignettes and goes all soft, but the close-up of the angel above it appears tight straight out to the corners. Somewhat peculiar results in this regard - jury is still out for me - but promising nonetheless. It seems it _can_ do FF, but one wonders still about those edges.

Thanks Knyghtfall.
04-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I guess should use it with wide aperture if you are using it in film, where with the DOV people will not notice the corners that much.
04-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I guess should use it with wide aperture if you are using it in film, where with the DOV people will not notice the corners that much.
Not sure what DOV means, but I think Knyght is trying to test to see how the DA will perform on FF, hence our observation of the edge performance. EDIT - seems like the aperture is pretty wide on these shots, but maybe stopping down would make it easier to see the actual softness caused by the lens edges.

Do the DA lenses work just like a lens in 'A' mode on your film body Knyght? (ie is it possible to adjust the aperture?) Or is it just wide open all the time? Just curious.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 04-26-2008 at 08:12 AM.
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the compliments guys

All the shots posted below are with the aperture wide open. The entry level MZ - 50 allows aperture control from the body on Av or M mode (ironically that's something the MZ -3, a intermediate level camera, can't do), but for the purposes of testing I set it wide open.
EDIT: correction, the pic of the statue on the bench was at f4.0 - just found the card I used to record the apertures used. The other 4 photos are at f2.8.

There is some fringing in high contrast areas, and I can't really make up my mind on the vignetting - sometimes it seems to be there, and other times it doesn't. The drop off in sharpness at the corners is understandable given the wide aperture, I guess. I thought I also noticed some distortion as well, especially in the corners of the picture of the statue on the bench.

There are some more photos taken using the DA 40 at:
knyghtfall81/DA 40mm Limited - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But overall I guess its safe to say that the DA 40 performs sufficiently well on FF

Last edited by knyghtfall; 04-26-2008 at 08:58 AM.
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

knyghtfall nice test but I have to say that while the colours from using Velvia are strong, the contrast has killed the dynamic range of the slide film. Don't know if your scanning (digitising) is causing the contrasty result. Have no doubt the DA40 has the coverage to fill 35mm film but it does look like it's performance at the corners is so-so only.