05-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Light is everything...

05-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'll try to bring the red channel down and try this again... didn't mean to hurt anyone's eyes, sorry about that

Or, I'll just do a different setup next time, as this seems like a failed experiment.
05-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Same A 70-210 lens, first with no PP, then with 2/3 stop underexposed and major dimming of highlights. It also makes a difference in how the pictures are displayed; depending on your monitor, the degree to which the petals are blown out in the first picture and how dark the second picture is can vary a lot, which will affect how you rate each picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Do you guys think the difference is because of the DOF? I might have to try both at f/8 to see what the difference is... also, one picture had sun, the other didn't. Usually though, in these kinds of pictures, the sun turns out to be a disadvantage...
The lighting is the biggest difference here. If the DA35 comes with nice cloud cover when you want or need it, then it's definitely the better lens:P. With cloud cover, the background of the 70-210mm shot would look more subdued- you wouldn't have that bright glare on the right and the rest would be more uniformly lit and less distracting. The flower would look quite different too. It would be best to compare them under the same light.

05-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Do you guys think the difference is because of the DOF? I might have to try both at f/8 to see what the difference is... also, one picture had sun, the other didn't. Usually though, in these kinds of pictures, the sun turns out to be a disadvantage... So, how much importance do you give to rendering and how does it affect what lenses you use for what jobs?
DOF? Maybe, but I'm not really a DOF expert. From a background standpoint, both look fine to me. I like the A lens flower better, as the DA seems over-saturated and blown out.

Rendering? I've searched endlessly to understand or define what it is and have reached no conclusions. Equally evasive is the term "pixie dust", but that is another story. I have only a few lenses, but when I want my very best effort, and have the time to compose, I'll use my DA 40 as the photos from it are very sharp and have great colors and contrast. It gives me more than my 18-55 II, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, and M50 1.4. How good is the DA 40? I don't know, but Walgreens almost didn't print some photos I'd taken with it because they thought they had been taken by a pro - and I'm NOT a pro. So, yes, desired output IQ will occasionally direct me to my best lens, even though I still don't really know what rendering is.
05-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
How good is the DA 40? I don't know, but Walgreens almost didn't print some photos I'd taken with it because they thought they had been taken by a pro - and I'm NOT a pro. So, yes, desired output IQ will occasionally direct me to my best lens, even though I still don't really know what rendering is.
That's like getting carded when you're 40 - you just say "Thanks for asking!"