Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 1.4x Teleconverter Review Posted

We've just posted our in-depth review of the new Pentax 1.4 rear converter:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

It won't be announced on the homepage until next week, but it's live Enjoy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great Review..
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Thanks Adam for the great review, and more generally for all the hard work. Much appreciated by all PF members including myself.
05-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Nice, great review! Thanks, I wonder how it will perform with the Da 50-135

05-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Typo: "that's what we will be investifating in this review."

Good review though.
05-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

A very good a thorough review, Adam.

This review will most likely be a strong criteria for my decision as to buy this TC.

JP
05-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've just posted our in-depth review of the new Pentax 1.4 rear converter:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

It won't be announced on the homepage until next week, but it's live Enjoy!
Your a star

Couple of points

Sigma HSM not working - Sigma state there will NOT be a fix at present

"Japan have stated that your Sigma lenses are not compatible with this converter and unfortunately it is not possible to make them function.

They have stated it is something they may look into producing in the future but there are no guarantees.

Kind Regards

Chris Bibby
SIGMA IMAGING UK LTD"

and this is wrong

"With the D FA 100mm screw drive lens, AF was about 20% faster without the converter. Thus, we can conclude that the teleconverter adds a slight amount of friction to the screwdrive mechanism."

The converter has a geared reducer (you can check turn the af screw camera side and count the turns lens side) this is true for all screwdrive converters and is why you need 'electronics' to fix in lens driven motors (have to correct focal length for AF stepping).

On the plus side in it mean in lens (SDM) does not slow dowon on the converter (whoo hooo )

Last edited by awaldram; 05-01-2014 at 10:53 PM.
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

How do you know if this will work with a 3rd party manual lens? I'm interested to see if it would work with my Tokina AT-X F4 100-300mm lens. I bought a cheap $7 Albinar 2X converter that I use as a door stop It was horrible.

05-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From the review:

QuoteQuote:
We mounted the converter on a film body and did not notice any particular vignetting in the viewfinder with lenses 20mm or longer.
While I'm glad this was at least mentioned in passing, I'm still waiting for someone to shoot a couple rolls of Ektar 100 through one of these and see what it will really do.

QuoteQuote:
This is not to say that the converter will be usable in practice with a full frame DSLR should Pentax release one, since firmware could prevent its use.
Curious... I hold a suspicion that this teleconverter was made for a full-frame DSLR. It would just be such a perfect fit. I mean... 1.4X magnification is exactly what you'd need to cover a full-frame sensor, right? If that wasn't what they intended, then why didn't they make it a 2X converter? As I recall from the old days, 2X converters were pretty much the standard.
05-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Nice review Adam. I find everything in the review to be so with my DA300 and the converter.