Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Where is the DA* 55/1.4?

I been looking for a used copy of the DA* 55/1.4 but its not easy. There seems to be a few (but very few) copies on ebay.com but since I live in Europe its kind of tricky to order from the States. Ebay.co.uk shows nothing and every other used camera equipment webpage I can think of comes up with nothing. Why is this? Is the lens so freakin' good that noone wants to sell it? Or was there very few copies made? Any thoughts?

BTW, why didn't the DA* 55/1.4 get updated with the fancy red ring and the HD coating? Is it out of production?

05-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's still in production. No DA*'s have gotten HD coating yet.

I would recommend adding the lens to your marketplace watch list here on the forum, as I see them pop up from time to time. The watch list is at the top of the for sale forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA* 55mm f/1,4 SDM - Överblick - PENTAX Photo

I am guessing they will be sold somewhere in Sweden (new) as Pentax's Swedish webpage offers them.

Here is another link....

http://www.pricerunner.se/pl/543-1174311/Kameraobjektiv/Pentax-smc-P-DA-55mm...ax-KAF3-priser
05-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
BTW, why didn't the DA* 55/1.4 get updated with the fancy red ring and the HD coating? Is it out of production?
None of the DA* lenses got that. The DA Limiteds did.

05-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I been looking for a used copy of the DA* 55/1.4 but its not easy. Is the lens so freakin' good that noone wants to sell it?
I suspect that's pretty much it. You certainly can't have mine

QuoteQuote:
BTW, why didn't the DA* 55/1.4 get updated with the fancy red ring and the HD coating?
Same reason: it doesn't need it.

QuoteQuote:
Is it out of production?
Certainly not. Freely available new.
05-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can still buy a DA *55 new. I guess most people who have one just like it enough that they don't want to sell it at a discount.

The DA *55 supposedly features the aero bright coating, which is supposed to be a step above the HD coating put on the DA limiteds, but also more expensive/fragile to manufacture and apply. Hence the reason it didn't need an update.
05-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
LIJ
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replys

QuoteQuote:
am guessing they will be sold somewhere in Sweden (new) as Pentax's Swedish webpage offers them.
Yeah, new ones I can get at my local camera store. I was kind of looking for a used copy though. The new ones are a bit more expensive here. But thanks for your help anyway.

05-05-2014, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, the DA 55 1.4 is just so good, it would be silly to let it go and sell it.
05-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I looked for a good price for this one for a very long time before finally spotting an unmissable bargain on Amazon.co.uk marketplace. You don't say where you are, but it changes hands on ebay.co.uk now and then for around £400 (maybe a shade over if there is a warranty included). For me, this is a rather more realistic price than the list one!

While the lens was first introduced at a much lower price, it has become comparatively more expensive since introduction. I think there just are not that many around partly because given the list price, not a very large number have sold in the UK. There are many more 'interesting' fast manual focus offerings in 50-58mm from the film era around for a lot less, and in AF, historically the D-FA 50 1.4 was a LOT cheaper.

FWIW it's a very nice lens indeed, and if you want quiet autofocus and weather sealing, then it's well worth the eBay price. Brand new, not so sure......? As others have pointed out, my experience is that it requires significant in-body AF adjustment at F1.4. So it is maybe best when paired with the bodies that support this feature.

Good luck finding one soon!

John

Last edited by johnc; 05-05-2014 at 07:15 AM.
05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
LIJ
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks johnc for your insights. Yeah £400 seems more reasonable. I'm in Sweden where it sells new for ca £650-700 which is a bit much I think. I now have the FA 50/1.4 which I love and use a lot, but I want the weather sealing and slight improvement of image quality at the large apertures of the 55/1.4. I use the K-5 so focus adjustment is possible. Will keep looking at ebay.co.uk
05-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

I searched for used DA* for about 3 months, and only one came up in that time. I ended up just buying it new on sale from B&H. Amazing lens, my new favorite and totally worth every cent. For what it's worth, mine doesn't need any auto focus adjustment at any aperture.
05-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
I searched for used DA* for about 3 months, and only one came up in that time. I ended up just buying it new on sale from B&H. Amazing lens, my new favorite and totally worth every cent. For what it's worth, mine doesn't need any auto focus adjustment at any aperture.
Good to hear. I have found that mine is pretty much my only lens requiring AF adjustment on my K3, but I have only tried calibrating it under artificial light. I might have another go.