Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Low distortion sounds nice.. The DA21 is moderately affected but I donīt like that in a prime lens. Coatings difference will depend on lighting conditions. Apart from flare, contrast should be better specially wide open... And consider aperture blades also define how point light sources, specular highlights, etc are rendered. Also, the newer model should have better control of chromatic aberrations
A sample of the FA 20/2.8 from the weekend. Cropped top and bottom leaving only the 'guts' of the photo.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would you buy that lens (sells arround U$600) when the DA21 sells for U$350 and has better coatings, quickshift, smaller, lighter, more aperture blades, aluminum vs plastic body...
You'd buy it because it's as good as the 21 for IQ, arguably better, it's slightly wider and faster and of course, its image circle was intended for the 35mm frame. The HD DA21, be warned, sells for closer to $700US, though you can probably pick up the SMC version cheaper, if you can find one. I got my FA20/2.8 for around $500 three or four years ago, and they seem to hold their value well, I imagine because they're well-regarded.

There's no arguing about the IQ from the DA15, though. If you want wider, the DA14 is, again, slightly wider and faster than the 15, but bigger (much, much bigger with the hood attached), less nicely built and not as well-liked for IQ.

However, as a walk-around wide-angle prime, I quite like the FA*24/2, which you can pick up (second-hand) for around the same money as the DA Limited primes. It's light, well-built and the least expensive of the FA* lenses, and, of course, it also fits the 35mm frame.

If you want a zoom, I can recommend the Sigma 10-20/3.5, which is available new again for upwards of $600, or, as someone else said, if you can find one, the Sigma 8-16 is astounding, but a bit of a flare monster.
05-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You'd buy it because it's as good as the 21 for IQ, arguably better, it's slightly wider and faster and of course, its image circle was intended for the 35mm frame. The HD DA21, be warned, sells for closer to $700US, though you can probably pick up the SMC version cheaper, if you can find one. I got my FA20/2.8 for around $500 three or four years ago, and they seem to hold their value well, I imagine because they're well-regarded.

There's no arguing about the IQ from the DA15, though. If you want wider, the DA14 is, again, slightly wider and faster than the 15, but bigger (much, much bigger with the hood attached), less nicely built and not as well-liked for IQ.

However, as a walk-around wide-angle prime, I quite like the FA*24/2, which you can pick up (second-hand) for around the same money as the DA Limited primes. It's light, well-built and the least expensive of the FA* lenses, and, of course, it also fits the 35mm frame.

If you want a zoom, I can recommend the Sigma 10-20/3.5, which is available new again for upwards of $600, or, as someone else said, if you can find one, the Sigma 8-16 is astounding, but a bit of a flare monster.
And what about a Super Takumar 24/3.5 you can get these for $100 plus the adapter

I transformed this image into BW for a bit of fun. Almost as sharp as the FA 20/2.8

As you can see I am having fun with my recently acquired wide angles

Last edited by Wild Mark; 05-05-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: adding image
05-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Show me where you are finding 24mm super taks for $100 I'll have 3 please.

05-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
one sold on ebay yesterday? for less than $100 ..... I got mine in mint condition with hood and case for $110
05-05-2014, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Landscapes can really be shot with any focal length. You really don't have to go wide angle. Most professional landscapes are shot in the mid 20's to mid 30's (focal length) because of the lack of distortion to the resulting image. Going wider you acquire progressively more distortion (especially around the edges). So, the real question is how much distortion you like, want or can tolerate.

Another feature of wide angle lenses is how it obtains all of that extra view. The lens pulls in the extra view around all of the edges - top, bottom, and both sides. In doing that it essentially pushes the view at center of the lens further into the background - thereby further diminishing its impact to the over view. A byproduct of pushing the center further back is the increasing importance of the foreground. This is the stuff closest to the camera - by virtue of being close, it becomes at least equal in importance. That is usually why, with wide angle lenses - photographers usually find something of interest in the foreground to anchor their images.

A way around the distortion issue is to shoot with longer focal length lenses, where distortion is not a problem. In doing this you wind up shooting over the top of the foreground (its not in view). You can also emphasize the actual object of the scene - the mountains or whatever, by stitching adjoining shots together - as in a stitched panorama. Another byproduct of stitching, is that you are actually adding pixels to the resulting image. Wide angle lenses pull more scene into the existing pixels withing the frame. By virtue of this, the images tend to be somewhat less sharp - since each of the pixels is representing a substantially larger area.

Benefits of wide angle lenses are their ability to capture a scene of the moment - particularly when there is motion. You can't take a series of images of something in motion and then stitch them together and have the image not be disjointed. So, there are a lot of uses for WA lenses. Additional benefits are a very deep depth of field - its difficult to use a WA lens in such a way as to obtain any real object separation with the background. WA lenses also tend to inherently have very deep colorful renderings with lots of contrast.

I have acquired a number of WA lenses - perhaps the best is the 12-24 for several reasons. Even though its a zoom, its image quality is comparable to primes within its range. The Pentax version has distortion reasonably well controlled. The Forum tested a number a while ago, with the Sigma coming out on top. For an all around WA lens, I think its a good combination of focal lengths and capabilities. Its a f4 lens. In landscaping you really do not need a fast lens. WA lenses are also used for interior shots - where aperture speed is very helpful. That is where the DA 14/f2.8 works well - bringing additional light. To be fair, if the scene is fairly static, you can go with a slower lens, and just use a longer shutter speed, in order to capture the light.

To go wider, there is the Sigma 8-16 that is no longer available in the Pentax mount. At times it is too wide, but very useful for very large things. I like shooting sailing ships - tall ships with it. You can get up close. Also building interiors, etc. It really does not work with people in that the folks closest to the edges are really pulled and stretched.

The best bang for the buck with excellent image quality is the DA 16-45. It has been discontinued, much higher image quality than the kit and it goes for around $200 (and they are available). The extra 2mm in focal length is a substantial difference over the kit. Its physical size is not as large as the 8-16 or the 12-24 (nor the DA 14).

Samang has recently come out with a set of primes 10, 14 and 16mm with apertures of f2.8. I understand the image quality has been said to be very good.

It might be helpful to know what your intended usage of the lens is - general landscapes is a pretty large target.

05-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
one sold on ebay yesterday? for less than $100 ..... I got mine in mint condition with hood and case for $110
That would probably be me! I found one on ebay for $88.77.
Glenn

05-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

OK lets settle this the old way - your best images please I'll add one tonight
haha, not sure how this will help, but I like it. Your image is nice but all I can see is nice contrast and colors. Do you have a more challenging subject?
While filtering images taken with DA21 I realized I tend to use the 15mm instead... Hereīs a not so nice DA21 photo but good sample of starbusts, flare, LoCA, edge sharpness. I just cropped out some boring black sky from the top so you can see the side and bottom edges.

Last edited by carrrlangas; 05-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
05-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Since we`re gonna throw some images into the "battle", here are my sets on Flickr.

DA14mm F2.8

smc DA15mm F4 limited
05-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

If you're going to shoot ultra wide with people, shoot with a fisheye DA 10-7, people at the edges are wonky, but wonky your eye understands...

And for ultra-wide architecture, the Sigma 8-16 is the cat's meow.

If you can live with 21 though..... save your money

Last edited by normhead; 05-05-2014 at 07:50 AM.
05-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the feed back I like the sound of the 15mm very much I was looking around the $500ish price range, I've been into photography for about 5 years I just sold all my Canon gear and made the switch to Pentax , I do prefer primes but not opposed to zooms either.
05-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zyxwv Quote
Thanks so much for all the feed back I like the sound of the 15mm very much I was looking around the $500ish price range, I've been into photography for about 5 years I just sold all my Canon gear and made the switch to Pentax , I do prefer primes but not opposed to zooms either.
But the DA15 here on the marketplace for arround U$400 and enjoy! It is very safe to buy here and you can sell with little loss if you want to try something different.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And for ultra-wide architecture, the Sigma 8-16 is the cat's meow.
This is a great shot but the buildings are falling!
05-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

This is a great shot but the buildings are falling!
The horizon is tilted - or at least it seems so to my eyes. Not the lens fault
05-05-2014, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

haha, not sure how this will help, but I like it. Your image is nice but all I can see is nice contrast and colors. Do you have a more challenging subject?
While filtering images taken with DA21 I realized I tend to use the 15mm instead... Hereīs a not so nice DA21 photo but good sample of starbusts, flare, LoCA, edge sharpness. I just cropped out some boring black sky from the top so you can see the side and bottom edges.

Very nice shot. The detail is there and that is something you want to see in a wide angle. I have used some more ordinary lenses such as the kit lens and you notice the difference. So getting a specialty lens for wide angle (zoom or prime) is critical.

I have not had the lenses long enough to shot subjects such as the one you offered. But you have inspired me. Perhaps this evening I will venture out into the harbour to find a complex scene to combat you with

---------- Post added 05-06-14 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
That would probably be me! I found one on ebay for $88.77.
Glenn
well done - that is a cheap pick up. Hope it is nice and clear and in good working order - buy of the century.

---------- Post added 05-06-14 at 07:21 AM ----------

I particularly like the post on the wharf side - golden spiral rule plus leading lines? Nice composition and depth to the image.
05-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The horizon is tilted - or at least it seems so to my eyes. Not the lens fault
Haha, I know. Just didnīt want to sound rude!
Very nice shot. The detail is there and that is something you want to see in a wide angle. I have used some more ordinary lenses such as the kit lens and you notice the difference. So getting a specialty lens for wide angle (zoom or prime) is critical.
I have not had the lenses long enough to shot subjects such as the one you offered. But you have inspired me. Perhaps this evening I will venture out into the harbour to find a complex scene to combat you with
thanks, thatīs the spirit! I look forward to round 2! (Iīll have to go out myself, as I said, I donīt use it much. I got it at the same time as the DA15)
I particularly like the post on the wharf side - golden spiral rule plus leading lines? Nice composition and depth to the image.
Youīll have to explain that one to me. I wonīt lie, it was just a snapshot! And thanks to SR... 1/3 of a second at f/5.6