Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Good Wide angles for k5iis

New to Pentax and unfamiliar just trying to get a feel of a good landscape lens to buy I was researching the 14mm f/2.8 but thinking it might be too wide I dunno

Thanks,
Mick

05-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IŽll say it first: DA15 f/4, youŽll never regret it. If youŽd like not so wide, IŽd go for the Ricoh GR! (18mm, same AA filterless sensor as K-5IIs). Followed by the DA21 f/3.2 and finally the Sigma superwide 24mm f/2.8. But, let us know your budget first.
05-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an amazing wide angle lens: the Pentax DA15mm.
Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

This lens is amazing and many Pentaxians will speak very highly of this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html

For landscape, it is a super lens. the tiny size is amazing and the lens is packed with outstanding IQ.

Hope that the comment will help.
05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
There is an amazing wide angle lens: the Pentax DA15mm.
Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

This lens is amazing and many Pentaxians will speak very highly of this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html

For landscape, it is a super lens. the tiny size is amazing and the lens is packed with outstanding IQ.

Hope that the comment will help.
Agreed; DA15 Ltd for mine. Bold and beautiful rendition, great colours, wide enough for most landscape purposes ... and many more. f/4 is not as fast as the DA14, but I don't miss the extra speed at this focal length; you can easily hand hold down to 1/15 sec or more. The only con is that its not so sharp at the edges, but it's rarely a problem. Perhaps not ideal for a group photo.

05-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Agreed; DA15 Ltd for mine. Bold and beautiful rendition, great colours, wide enough for most landscape purposes ... and many more. f/4 is not as fast as the DA14, but I don't miss the extra speed at this focal length; you can easily hand hold down to 1/15 sec or more. The only con is that its not so sharp at the edges, but it's rarely a problem. Perhaps not ideal for a group photo.
I suggest the FA 20/2.8

highly under rated.
05-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to be contrary I'll suggest the Da 12-24 I know we are supposed to be prime focused photographers on this site, but sometimes a good zoom will work as well.

But the DA 15mm f/4 is kinda nice too. (ducking)
05-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I suggest the FA 20/2.8

highly under rated.
Why would you buy that lens (sells arround U$600) when the DA21 sells for U$350 and has better coatings, quickshift, smaller, lighter, more aperture blades, aluminum vs plastic body...

---------- Post added 05-05-14 at 02:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Perhaps not ideal for a group photo.
No ultra wide angle would be good for people near the edge, I think. Right?

05-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Why would you buy that lens (sells arround U$600) when the DA21 sells for U$350 and has better coatings, quickshift, smaller, lighter, more aperture blades, aluminum vs plastic body...

---------- Post added 05-05-14 at 02:32 AM ----------

No ultra wide angle would be good for people near the edge, I think. Right?
good point - personal preferences at play here.

I justified the price because it is FF (future proofing ) and is highly regarded. Incredibly sharp and limited distortion. Better coating ....... I think that is a marginal difference.

The aperture blades is a mute point for me. I use it for landscape with little or no expectation of bokeh. I have other lenses if I want OOF inclusions in my shot.

Re weight - personal preference - I like the weight it balances the camera well.
05-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
good point - personal preferences at play here.

I justified the price because it is FF (future proofing ) and is highly regarded. Incredibly sharp and limited distortion. Better coating ....... I think that is a marginal difference.

The aperture blades is a mute point for me. I use it for landscape with little or no expectation of bokeh. I have other lenses if I want OOF inclusions in my shot.

Re weight - personal preference - I like the weight it balances the camera well.
Low distortion sounds nice.. The DA21 is moderately affected but I donŽt like that in a prime lens. Coatings difference will depend on lighting conditions. Apart from flare, contrast should be better specially wide open... And consider aperture blades also define how point light sources, specular highlights, etc are rendered. Also, the newer model should have better control of chromatic aberrations
05-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also the Pentax 12-24mm f/4 ED ASPH and the DA 15mm f/4 ASPH - both lenses have their pros and cons.

Though I would keep an eye out for the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 - It has been discontinued but if you can find a copy of it in K mount and it performs well enough keep it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.
05-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the DA12-24 and I love it. Very sharp with a useful range.
05-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Low distortion sounds nice.. The DA21 is moderately affected but I donŽt like that in a prime lens. Coatings difference will depend on lighting conditions. Apart from flare, contrast should be better specially wide open... And consider aperture blades also define how point light sources, specular highlights, etc are rendered. Also, the newer model should have better control of chromatic aberrations
OK lets settle this the old way - your best images please I'll add one tonight
05-05-2014, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zyxwv Quote
New to Pentax and unfamiliar just trying to get a feel of a good landscape lens to buy I was researching the 14mm f/2.8 but thinking it might be too wide I dunno

Thanks,
Mick
I do have both the 14mm and the 15mm
These guys are completely different. The 15mm is a nice wide landscapelens but the 14mm enters allready the ultra-wide realm (more dramatic distortion, which can be real nice if you know how to handle it). While the 14mm does some pretty landscapes too, it`s pretty prone to flare. OTOH it`s easier to use in lowlight and indoors, not only because of the aperture but also due to size.

Since you are relatively new to Pentax (not sure if that means photography in general?), I would suggest a zoom.
If you want the best for money, get the DA12-24. If your budget is more tight, I suggest you look into the 10-20/24 range like the sigma 10-20 or the tamron 10-24.

Offcourse, the 15mm is a really nice lens and you can`t go wrong with that. But be careful...buying limiteds is addictive
05-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The OP asked about the DA14/2.8.
I have one and I am pleased with it. It's not too wide , it's a big Pentax lens (compared to the DA15 or DA21) due to the speed.
It's not built like a limited but definitely well built.

If you find one at a decent price then go for it.

Seb

EDIT: Just remember to use the hood.

Last edited by bassek; 05-05-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: hood
05-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I second the opinion of the DA12-24/f4 as it is sharp wide-open through out the range.