Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes but the lens in question is the FA* not the F. Btw hood is not a big issue. It's reversable so the lens is compact for storage. I have no issues with my FA* and MF 'feel' easy to focus and very smooth.

04-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Creampuff, the FA* is just as easy to go to manual focus. It has a focus ring clutch. ust pull the ring back and you're in manual. No need to do anything with the AF/MF switch. The speed difference is so slight as to be of no real issue. The FA* is light enough to handhold and the tripod collar hasn't been a big issue so far for me. I think one could easily be made for the lens.

On the other points (SDM, WS etc.) you are correct.

At a savings of at least $400.00 from the DA*, it's worth serious consideration.
With Quick Shift, there's no need to even touch the AF/MF switch. You can adjust the focus ring at anytime in AF. I think the biggest advantage of the new lens has got to be SDM. Focusing is killer fast and quiet. Given that this lens is mostly going to be used in the field/outdoors, the weather sealing is definitely welcome. I personally prefer the DA*'s black finish as the FA teles seem prone to small nicks to the lens' exterior finish.