Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Javier, Once in a while I get one I really like (must have been an accident) I am getting a little more patient and when you hang around long enough the birds don't seem to mind you too much (until some nerd with a loose dog shows up)

05-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Borno: excellent Great Blue Heron image- well done! Wonderful capture...

I am jealous... my juvenile Great Blue Heron that I've tried to photograph is like most birds I've encountered for the competition - rarely seen a human, so they take off if you get closer than what a 600/4 with 1.4x TC could pull in...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-23-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: clarification
05-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Thanks Marc, I was really stoked when he let me get close enough to take off the tc and get some even sharper shots from closer (not with a fish though) too tired to work on them tonight though
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just got back from my trip in which the weather did not cooperate.
I missed so many shots do to lack of experience also. One being that I was shooting with a 100-300 zoom and thought I was at the long end ( 300mm ) trying to being in a group of eagles. When it was all said and done and I was lookng at my pictures I found my FL was only 210mm. I had unknowingly turned the zoom. DUH!! I really need a lot of work figuring out exposure also and when to use spot metering and manual focus.
The name of the game I guess. Anyway, heres a couple pic for now for the critiques out there. The first photo is of the rare and elusive Rubbernecker. Thanks all.

Attached Images

06-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #110
Site Supporter

Da55-300

FWIW: I've been exploring the DA55-300 for about a week.

You are welcome to visit birdsite.org for some examples. A word of warning: it's quite obvious that I'm pretty low the DSLR/PP learning curve, so my 'command and control' is a bit spotty. The images are a mixed bag. Some were taken using a K100D and others with a K20D, plus in some cases I was using my kit DA50-200 - mix and match. I've noted which is which. All are hand-held captures.

Nutshell impression of the 55-300...

I really like the 50-200. Its light weight and high IQ make it a great walk around lens for the times I feel the need for extra reach. Its capable of producing great print images. No complaints at all.

As to the 55-300, I'm very impressed. While heavier than the 50-200, the extra weight helps stabilize it for those even longer reach subjects. Its print IQ is superb. I've only used it on the K20D, but I consider it to be well worth the little extra money. I figure it's 2-3 times better than the 50-200.

Just my 2 cents. Your experience may differ...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 06-01-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Corrected some typos...
06-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm pretty far down on the curve also in PP and I think the photos just posted show that. But I don't kick myself to hard because I am new to this and learning so expect that.

As for as the 50-200 and the 55-300 goes, I here a lot about the great IQ. Always makes me second guess the spending on the 100-300 f/4. Wish I could get my LBA in check.

When out last week I did learn quite a bit. It was really fun doing the stealth thing trying to get glose the birds, trying to anticipate whats next. I usually shoot in manual so the exposure can change quite fast from low to bright light. Getting used to the camera and controls is going to be key. I don't know but I feel I will pick up the elements faster this way. Whenever I shoot in green it seems to give me a different f value as to what I want. I suppose I could try AV mode more often in those conditions. I wish I didn't have to waste all that time going to work so as to spend more time with my camera.

Last edited by OrenMc; 06-02-2008 at 04:55 AM.
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Those shots look good to me Oren, Flying ducks are really tough- those bad boys can move! My big problem is remembering to get the settings and focus right as I also try to get the framing and everything the way I want and you sure don't have much time to fool around with it usually. What is the first bird? I think he's making a face at you