Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #1

Build Quality

I am wearing my camera every time I leave my home. Not most of the time but every time. My most frequent lens is the FA 24-90mm. I stumbled across some comments about that lens and went and looked at reviews and threads and the only negative comments were about build quality. So, I thought, that lens has been on my camera any time I'm going out with nothing special in mind. It's had knocks and bumps and light rain. And, it keeps working just fine.

I'm wondering if "build quality" isn't more of a cosmetic issue than a practical one?

04-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, it is probably what it feels like rather than how much beating it actually can take.

It just doesn't feel very good when it is thin, flimsy plastic, though I think my M28 will outlive the DA 18-55 quite easily.
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I am wearing my camera every time I leave my home. Not most of the time but every time. My most frequent lens is the FA 24-90mm. I stumbled across some comments about that lens and went and looked at reviews and threads and the only negative comments were about build quality. So, I thought, that lens has been on my camera any time I'm going out with nothing special in mind. It's had knocks and bumps and light rain. And, it keeps working just fine.

I'm wondering if "build quality" isn't more of a cosmetic issue than a practical one?
You might have stumbled across a good one. The one I had was terrible! The lens barrel wobbled when it zoomed and the images were soft. I bought the lens brand new and sold it to KEH with all the original box packing etc. six months later. It was in like new condition, but KEH graded it and sold it as a "Bargain." Mine was a really bad lens. I could not recommend this lens to anyone.

VR
Darryl
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
You might have stumbled across a good one. The one I had was terrible! The lens barrel wobbled when it zoomed and the images were soft. I bought the lens brand new and sold it to KEH with all the original box packing etc. six months later. It was in like new condition, but KEH graded it and sold it as a "Bargain." Mine was a really bad lens. I could not recommend this lens to anyone.

VR
Darryl
I have the 24-90, and it is a good lens. I think maybe you got a bad copy.