Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens hoods for Wide-Angle

OK, I just bought a nice Sigma 24mm wide-angle. It's comes complete with the caps but not a lens hood.

Any ideas on the size of a lens hood for this lens? It has a 52mm thread and I was looking at the Nikon HN-2 hood . I'm thinking this would be a nice size without causing me any vignetting.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

04-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
OK, I just bought a nice Sigma 24mm wide-angle. It's comes complete with the caps but not a lens hood.

Any ideas on the size of a lens hood for this lens? It has a 52mm thread and I was looking at the Nikon HN-2 hood . I'm thinking this would be a nice size without causing me any vignetting.

You would actually need two hoods - one for when it is on the MZ-S for the true 24mm wide angle, and a 36mm hood for when it is on your digital. A hood that is tight on the digital would show in the image on the film camera.
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Angle of View in APS-c and lens hoods

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You would actually need two hoods - one for when it is on the MZ-S for the true 24mm wide angle, and a 36mm hood for when it is on your digital. A hood that is tight on the digital would show in the image on the film camera.
What an amazing resource this Forum is. I never would have thought to change lens hoods on my K10D, but now that you prompt me, the Angle of View IS narrower (about 9 1/2 degrees horizontal and 14 1/2 or so vertical on a 24), so the hood lip can (should?) be longer!
04-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Cheers!

Abbazz

04-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks fella's.
I hadn't thought about needing two hoods either. lol

I went ahead and pruchased the HN-2 hood from eBay anyway. It worked out at just under $20 including the shipping so it will hardly break the bank.

Apparently it's the one that Nikon advise users to buy for their 24's, so hopefully it will be ok.