Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

pentax wide angle like 17mm TS canon

Hi all,

I saw some urban photos using canon 17mm TS, which achieve good results.

i wonder what is the option for pentax for it? since pentax no full frame and no Tilt Shift lense..

15mm limited lens will become 15x1.5=22.5mm, using lense profile correction will be good enough for distortion?

what is the closer option?

05-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are after the tilt/shift effect then you need a tilt/shift lens. Here are the options with the caveat that I don't know if the Schneider lens has gone into production:

Samyang 24 mm F3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt/Shift Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Schneider-Kreuznach 28mm F4.5 PC-TS Super-Angulon HM Aspheric Lens Reviews - Schneider-Kreuznach Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

If you just want a wide angle, the 15mm is an excellent lens, see our review.
05-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
Hi all,

I saw some urban photos using canon 17mm TS, which achieve good results.

i wonder what is the option for pentax for it? since pentax no full frame and no Tilt Shift lense..

15mm limited lens will become 15x1.5=22.5mm, using lense profile correction will be good enough for distortion?

what is the closer option?
Another great wide-angle lens is the 12-24mm F4 zoom.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For Pentax, there aren't many TS lenses available. There is the Samyang, the Schneider-Kreuznach, and the Arax. (And Lensbaby I guess) Then you have some tilt adapters, where you can use a medium format lens and tilt it. Sometimes you can get an adapter and a Pentacon six lens for a good price. None of these allow focal length much wider than 24mm, which can be limiting on crop sensors
I wouldn't really expect of Pentax to make a TS lens anytime soon. Btw, some Pentax DSLRs already allow in-camera shift. Might be useful sometimes.

05-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is the Samyang, the Schneider-Kreuznach, and the Arax. (And Lensbaby I guess)
Don't forget the Hartblei Super-Rotator (Zeiss optics $$$), but the widest they go is 40mm. There is also the Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift, but again, not that wide.

Hartblei Optics by Carl Zeiss 4/40 IF TS

Steve
05-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The tilt shift effect i refer to is correcting the distortion, do you guys think most wide angle lense can be corrected through lightroom and photoshop perfectly?

12-24mm F4 zoom sounds good..at least 12x1.5 is 18mm wide enough
05-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The tilt shift effect i refer to is correcting the distortion, do you guys think most wide angle lense can be corrected through lightroom and photoshop perfectly?
Technically that is actually the 'shift' part of tilt-shift. The 'tilt' bit is where you tilt the lens to change what will be in focus. The former is easy to do in post-processing (you will loose parts of the image), the latter isn't.

05-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Distortion? Are you referring to the "keystone" effect of perspective? That is corrected by making sure that the lens axis is level and applying shift to bring the full subject into view as opposed to pointing the lens upward. The key is making sure that the lens is level.

-- or --

You can simply correct the keystone in PP with loss of image.

-- or --

You can shoot level with an ultra-wide angle lens and crop as needed.

Steve
05-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Distortion? Are you referring to the "keystone" effect of perspective? That is corrected by making sure that the lens axis is level and applying shift to bring the full subject into view as opposed to pointing the lens upward. The key is making sure that the lens is level.

-- or --

You can simply correct the keystone in PP with loss of image.

-- or --

You can shoot level with an ultra-wide angle lens and crop as needed.

Steve
hi using a DA lense 12-24 on a full frame body like sony A7, will it have problem since the lense is designed for a APS camera?
05-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
hi using a DA lense 12-24 on a full frame body like sony A7, will it have problem since the lense is designed for a APS camera?
The corners might not be optimal on the Sony A7. You will be better off with a manual (M42 maybe?) wide angle. 20mm and wider are rare and therefore expensive.
Samyang 14mm maybe?

Seb