Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Tips & tricks for FA 31mm Limited

Hi forum members,

I recently bought a Pentax FA 31mm Limited for my K-3 and I'm very fond of this combination. I am, however, aware that also this lens has to be learned to use. Recently I wrote another forum member if he had any good advice on using this particular lens. He had two good advices which I thought was really useful:

- The lens excels at f1.8 - f2.5 at midrange if the background is far behind the focus....that gives it subtle bokeh - not too smooth, but enough that you can feel separation of focused object

- It is also good at infinity stopped down to f8-f11, that is especially nice for landscapes ....

Now, my aim with this thread is to gather all kinds of tips and tricks with the wonderful Pentax FA 31mm Limited for sharing. I myself am still a rookie, so it will be very little I can contribute with. Hopefully this will change as time passes on.

So please, feel free

Last edited by Ztrejfer; 05-09-2014 at 01:23 AM.
05-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very helpful thread (will be, that is) as I am still finding out that I still don't know enough about this lens.

On another note: this lens becomes quite a winner when used for indoor "party" stuff with the K5 and the AF-540 FGZ flash.
Very sharp pictures !

JP
05-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm in the same situation as the OP-- I love the 31mm Limited with my K-3, but I'm so new to both that I don't really know how to use it effectively! Maybe some day I'll test out what kind of results I get at different apertures, and post the results. In the meantime, I can volunteer my Flickr page, since at least half of the photos were taken with that camera/lens combo, if you want to see what settings produced what kinds of results.
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
- The lens excels at f1.8 - f2.5 at midrange if the background is far behind the focus....that gives it subtle bokeh - not too smooth, but enough that you can feel separation of focused object

- It is also good at infinity stopped down to f8-f11, that is especially nice for landscapes ....

Not sure why you said "not so smooth" - the subject isolation will always be subtle at this focal length but the bokeh smoothness offered by FA31 is unmatched by any lenses in this focal length except for Sigma 30/1.4. I compared a few lenses in this focal length which you may want to see here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237093-wide...nt-brands.html

I don't have any tips and tricks specially for FA31 but I typically shoot either f1.8 or f8 with it and very happy.

05-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
On one of my first tours with the FA 31mm Ltd. I was so lucky to meet this beautiful fellow. What kind of butterfly it will turn into is unknown to me. What I do know is that it was taken at f/1.8, 1/800 sec (there was a wind, larva was waving hither and thither), and ISO 100. My first photographic rookie contribution to this phorum, ahem
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-09-2014, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the FA 31 for panoramas. This is a series of 17 shots.

05-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really like the FA 31 for panoramas. This is a series of 17 shots.

When I acquired the 31, I happened to do a panorama with both the 31 (something like 9 shots) and the 12-24 (on the order of 3 or 4 shots). The difference was striking - I still like the 12-24, but the 31 is outstanding.

05-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had my FA 31 for a couple of months and I'm just starting to learn how to use it properly. The more experience you have using it the better your results will be....
I took these tonight after dinner in my wife's gardens

05-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

I was just thinking that such a thread would be helpful and then discovered this one! In testing my 31mm wide open, I've found that there can be significant PF around white colored subjects in hard light. For example, shots of white flowers in bright sunlight. I would not try to use the 31mm in this way.
05-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Tested the 31's flare resistance last night.....

(x posted.... sorry, couldn't help myself)