Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Decisions, decisions...... oh, the decisions...!

Having LBA and CBA can pose its own problems. Here is my view, as a fully-fledged member of LBAA....

The main problem is deciding what to take on each outing! If I take the big LowePro Vertex 300 backpack, it still won't fit everything in, and I can feel my spine settling by a couple of inches each time I put the thing on...

Then I figure that I'll get selective, and just put what I need into my LowePro Slingshot 200, but by the time I've squeezed all the "just in case" stuff into there, it drags my right shoulder down to ground level and I look like the hunchback of Notre Dame. This is no mean feat, as I'm 6'3" to start with...

So I bought a Crumpler shoulder bag, which takes one camera body with a lens attached, plus a couple of other lenses. But not anything big, like my Bigma. So I attach the separate Bigma case to the straps of the Crumpler, and every time I walk the two bags play bouncy against each other and each time they come together, they snick a little bit of me in between......

And of course, if I'm just walking about with the K20D and the Tamron 18-250 on it, with the camera's own shoulder strap instead of carrying a sh*tload of lenses, flash, filters etc etc - then I spend the day worrying about the kit I've left at home.

So - my answer: buy a donkey, get a pair of large pannier baskets, fit them out with Velcro dividers, put ALL the kit I own into them, and take the donkey with me everywhere I go.

Now - where did I put that letter to Qantas about a couple of extra seats for the next trip.... and hay.... and carrots.....

04-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OMG that could be me - I carry the Lowepro computer trekker with me (took it Mexico and back 6 freaking planes!) also have the Lowepro Sling 200 , I am 6'2 and currently the backpack does fit all my lenses so some differences (although I also thought about buying a 15.4 Laptop cause the 17" will not fit haha!)

My wife tells me to get a Sherpa - I am trying to pare down the kit and be a little more selective on outings - have been unsuccessful to date (although I just sold one lens but pretty sure I am going to buy another !)
04-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear you. I have a backpack that will handle the kit but the Bigma does pose some issues with transport. It will fit in the backpack but then other lenses get shifted around. So my solution was a waste belt with detachable lens pouches. I think it's a Tamarac. So now al the small lenses are in front and handy, anything bigger is in the backpack.

That being said, I find I take fewer lenses with me most of the time now anyway. Avoid the overlaps and cover the most important areas.
04-30-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The solution is get a Sherpa to tend to your Donkey to carry all.

cheers

04-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am having these issues as well.
I am finding that now fitting everything into my bag is getting harder and harder.
And trying to be selective is even more difficult on outings.

I am getting better now at packing lenses within the space provided ... it's a challenge ... but I somehow manage it.
04-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just bought a camera backpack that is slightly bigger than my camera bag and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to grow out of it just as quickly. In the next couple of weeks, I want to add a dedicated macro and the new 55-300 as a replacement for the 100-300 to add to the K10D, Sigma 17-70, FA43, and Sunpak flash + accessories. If I can get it all in there, it's going to be a tight fit.

Heather
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am thinking about a backpack.

But so far I manage to squeeze everything in my signature into my bag .... JUST.
And that's including my remote cable release along with filters and what not too.