Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Quantaray 500 F 8 Mirror Lens

Well, due to an unexpected 1 year anniversary gift from my sweetie I am now the proud owner of a K10d. Yay!! I thought I was going to have to wait a month or so after selling my Rebel but turns out thats not the case. God I love this camera.

The question I have concerns the Quantaray 500 F 8 Mirror Lens. I have read up on mirror lenses and the problems they can have but some people say they are still a valid lens and can, under the right conditions, take some nice photos. I can get this lens pretty cheap ($45) and wonder if I should go for it. I didnt see it listed in the database under Quantaray lenses.

Here is the ad that it is being sold under...

"""This is a virtually "new" lens I got to use on a *ist DS Pentax digital SLR, then shortly thereafter gave the camera to my son. This is a 500mm multi-coated F8 Quantaray lens, which is WOLF's brand name but Sigma makes most of their lenses. It is a Pentax "K" mount manual focus single F-stop lens like all CAT/Mirror lens. It can be used with virtually all bayonet-mount Pentax SLR's. Many of the Pentax SLR's, including DIGITAl, will meter this lens on "aperture priority". With Digital Pentax SLRs the lens is a 750mm lens! The lens is a compact 4 1/2" x 72mm. Comes with box and a set of three 30.5 mm rear filters (UV, ND-2X, ND-4X), front & rear caps."""

Does any of this sound rite to you guys? Has anyone used this lens? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, all around big kudos to my sweetie for nabbing a new K10d before they are all gone. Thanks hun!

Bokeh

04-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For $45 what the heck!

I picked up an MTO 500mm from one of our great members and actually like it a lot.
It's hand holdable and the bokeh does not bother me at all.

Ray