Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Funny that people don't like the focal length when it seems like most folks like the 50mm focal length on full frame.
But close to $1000 for a fast-ish normal lens isnīt as appealing as a really fast wide angle lens...

05-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
But close to $1000 for a fast-ish normal lens isnīt as appealing as a really fast wide angle lens...
Sure. I wouldn't argue that it is a great deal. I just don't understand people saying "I don't like the focal length." It is fine as a focal length -- just really pricey for what it is.
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Sure. I wouldn't argue that it is a great deal. I just don't understand people saying "I don't like the focal length." It is fine as a focal length -- just really pricey for what it is.
I see what you mean.. To each their own. Iīd say "...Just really pricey for what it offers on APS-C"
05-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is expensive, I won't argue that. It does have a nice rendering, and the collector in me says never sell it so I have the trio.

However, when it comes to " I just don't understand people saying "I don't like the focal length."" I don't understand... some shooters may not like the FOV that 30mm ish lenses produces, or not have a need for it. Just like others may never have use for or enjoy shooting a 200mm lens. It's just if I'm going out for the day with one lens, chances are the lenses around 30mm are not the ones I'm going to reach for first. My 77mm is always my first choice.

05-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It is expensive, I won't argue that. It does have a nice rendering, and the collector in me says never sell it so I have the trio.

However, when it comes to " I just don't understand people saying "I don't like the focal length."" I don't understand... some shooters may not like the FOV that 30mm ish lenses produces, or not have a need for it. Just like others may never have use for or enjoy shooting a 200mm lens. It's just if I'm going out for the day with one lens, chances are the lenses around 30mm are not the ones I'm going to reach for first. My 77mm is always my first choice.
Sure. It's just that the first lens folks ever recommend for a full frame camera is a fast 50. Yet, a lot of people disparage 30mm on APS-C. There is not arguing over taste, but it certainly is a workable focal length...

05-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sure. It's just that the first lens folks ever recommend for a full frame camera is a fast 50. Yet, a lot of people disparage 30mm on APS-C. There is not arguing over taste, but it certainly is a workable focal length...

it's a very workable focal length, can't argue that at all.

I am even puzzled myself. On my Pentax DSLR's I always loved my 50mm lenses. So when I got my D800 the first lens I naturally bought was an 85mm lens. I hardly ever user it, I use my 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.0 more than any other prime on my FX format. Yet, on my Pentax, still can't figure out why I don't like using my 31. It makes no sense. I throw on the 43mm or "longer" and I'm perfectly happy, specifically the 77. My bag when I go out/when I went out for walks with my camera was always Pentax K5/3, DA 15, FA 43, FA 77. While on my D800 it's 50 & 135

really different I know...
05-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Yet, on my Pentax, still can't figure out why I don't like using my 31. It makes no sense.
I've never liked the 45mm FOV on 35mm film,
after seeing too many really boring products of film P&S cameras
with that focal length.

The 50mm, or even better, 55mm FOVs are just longer enough
to avoid that boring "normal" look.

05-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The 50mm, or even better, 55mm FOVs are just longer enough
to avoid that boring "normal" look.
AGREED! I love my DA*55 on my ZX7 (I think is the model) works beautiful and looks great!
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't sold it, but would consider. Price and size are the main factors for me. I enjoy the focal length and the rendering. But much prefer the overall offer that the 43 has. Too me, 31 and 43 are too similar of FL and one (31) will probably have to go.

plus the DA 35 is such a nice lens for 1/5 the cost.
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sell my Diva?
Inconceivable!!
05-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Inconceivable!!
I have to agree it's always on one of my bodies both APSC and 35mm film.
Glenn
05-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I haven't sold it, but would consider. Price and size are the main factors for me. I enjoy the focal length and the rendering. But much prefer the overall offer that the 43 has. Too me, 31 and 43 are too similar of FL and one (31) will probably have to go.

plus the DA 35 is such a nice lens for 1/5 the cost.
This. Nine times out of ten the 43 gets the call over the 31. And I do regret selling the DA35. But for some reason I can't part with the 31. It pairs well with the K-01 actually, a pair of big boned brothers.
05-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Would love to get the perspective - Why have you sold your FA31?

Yusuf
...well the question for me at least is why have I NOT sold my FA31?...and the answer is that I own a wonderful lens - which I probably could do without - but I simply don't need the money right now.
I think the question you really want to ask is... "Is the FA31 worth the money?"

It all comes down to supply & demand. Currently Amazon is selling them new for around $1200.00 and if the demand drops, so will the price. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it, plain & simple. Market dictates cost.
I paid $900 for my FA31 so I look at it as sort of an investment that I can use and enjoy. It's a truly wonderful lens but there a lots of wonderful lenses out there and I may decided to replace it with in the future....who knows?
05-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...well the question for me at least is why have I NOT sold my FA31?...and the answer is that I own a wonderful lens - which I probably could do without - but I simply don't need the money right now.
I think the question you really want to ask is... "Is the FA31 worth the money?"

It all comes down to supply & demand. Currently Amazon is selling them new for around $1200.00 and if the demand drops, so will the price. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it, plain & simple. Market dictates cost.
I paid $900 for my FA31 so I look at it as sort of an investment that I can use and enjoy. It's a truly wonderful lens but there a lots of wonderful lenses out there and I may decided to replace it with in the future....who knows?
Agreed, I bought my FA 31 and FA 43 both on sale. I was able to get my FA 31 for a stunning $900 CAD NIB. I found my Japan NIB FA 43 from the same retailer a few months later for $450 CAD. Both local, both I was able to walk in and select from two or three copies to get the one I wanted. Patience is a virtue for great glass!

If I wasn't able to find a price for the 31 for under $1000, I never would have bought it.
05-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...well the question for me at least is why have I NOT sold my FA31?...
No - that's not a questions the perspective I am looking for is why you SOLD, if you have SOLD!!