Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sell my Diva?
Inconceivable!!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

05-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #32

But....I haven't sold it! Why these unsubstantiated accusations about me having sold my FA 31mm? It is simply not true!

Preposterous!
05-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This will be an interesting and lengthy read.
Sony A7; is there an RX1 equivalent 35mm lens? - FM Forums

For the impatient ones, the discussion draws to a very informative ending on the 2nd last page of the thread.

JonasB (who I believe was a one time PF user ) discusses a 35mm lens as a replacement over a fixed lens RX1.
These are knowledgeable folks and quite a few there have tried more 35mm than we have lenses.

The 31ltd certainly stood out in the end, though he did keep to the RX1.
They were discussing all possible fast 35mm under the sun since the A7 can take all these lenses, and still the FA31ltd came up as one of the top is certainly saying something.

For me, the FA31ltd is a unique offering from Pentax.
Especially so on FF.
Wide 31mm, fast, generally very nice bokeh (in which not all 28mm or 35mm can claim (esp. 28mms)) , optically sharp, nice rendering and superb build with AF and smallish.
No other 28-35mm lens can claim all these points in one breath,

If I am to use the FA35 (which is as sharp as the 31ltd) as the base price point and add on these features on it, I'd come up to the price of the 31ltd.
Eg.
FA35 - $500
Bokeh - $200 (to some it may even be priceless)
f1.8 - $100
Build - $200
Wider 31mm FOV - $200

Total = $1000

I may be pulling the cost from the air, but look at any zeiss/leica or similar Canikon high end lens over their cheaper lower end (and usually good performing) brethren and these numbers are not that far off reasonable.
In fact, compared to the competition, the 31ltd may even be a steal

by jenkwang, on Flickr
31ltd on FF
05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #34

I'm currently trying to sell mine on the marketplace here, and this is why:

I bought into the Pentax system because I wanted a small SLR with small primes (specifically the DA ltds). I first bought the DA40 and loved using this lens on my K5, however I had this idea that the focal length was too long. i should have bought a DA21, but instead I convinced myself to buy a FA31. I found the focal length was not that different to the DA40, and while the image quality of the 31 is unquestionable, using it was just less enjoyable than the DA40. It's bigger, heavier, no quickshift.

Furthermore I think the perspective effects of the 31mm are less pleasing than the 40mm for certain situations, despite the focal length being nearer to a 'normal' for APSC.

05-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Interesting, a poll of those who have sold their 31... how's that working out for you?
I'm curious as to what you think the unique mindset of that demographic might be.
I still have every 18-55 I ever bought, it goes without saying if I had ever bought a 31 ltd I'd still own it...however my DA 35 ƒ2.4 pretty much killed it. That lens gives excellent results, if I used it a lot, I'd consider a 31 ltd. but, most of the time the 21 ltd goes with me, and the 35 stays home. I'm not going to buy a 31 hoping my shooting preferences are going to change.

I'd love a 31 but I suspect it would spend a lot of time sitting on my shelf, and 1k plus is a lot to gamble on liking the lens enough to change my style.
05-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting, a poll of those who have sold their 31... how's that working out for you?
My question too. On this forum, the more pertinent question might be, "Who has purchased the FA 31 and not used it but kept it anyway?" Or maybe, "Who wants a FA 31, but who won't use it?".

I definitely agree that I am not sure that I would use the FA 31 very much even if I should get one. I have a couple of 28mm lenses and find the focal length to be clumsy on APS-C. I do own the FA 35/2 and use it a lot, but those 4cm make a significant difference in FOV and I can't see the expense. OTOH, I do own the FA 77/1.8 and seldom use it...good thing I got a killer deal when I bought it new, eh?

Steve
05-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I actually bought it for video. On the Panasonic GH2 (with adapter), it's a fast, long normal with an aperture ring and long focus throw. But then Panny came out with a nice 12-35 F2.8 zoom and the FA31 was made redundant. Thinking of selling, but it's hard to let go of such a nice thing.
05-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I keep going back and forth about selling mine... It's a question of focal length preference as others have mentioned. I used it quite a bit during the first 6 months I owned it, but since then not so much. I also noticed that I tend to crop FA 31 images quite a bit in post, which I rarely do with the 43 and (almost) never do with the 77.

On the other hand, I rather like it on my GX-7, where it has a 62mm equiv perspective.... Like I said, back and forth.

05-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Beggin' the original question here, but a well regarded Tamron SP AF 17-35/2.8-4 (from long ago) has kept me from investigating any of the DA* 16 > 50mm offerings and relegated a DA 16-45 to 'hanger-queen' status.

Not often seen, but when they do appear used it's often at a fourth of the cost of the latest options. A little larger and heavier (it's FF) but reliable.