Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens repair or replacement

Hi,
I shoot with a K30.

I have a Pentax 18-55 DAL lens that came with camera but with a broken plastic mount after dropping it but lens is good as gold.

I bought another lens to be a donor lens for repairs, It is a Pentax 18-55 DA lens with an alloy mount ,however the front lens has a slight scratch on it that dosen't effect any shots but is annoying but works just fine.

1. Would i be better off doing just a mount change between the two lenses?

2. A new alloy mount for the DAL lens?

3. Just try and have the scratch polished off the DA lens?

4. Could the front lens from the DAL lens be swapped to the DA lens?

5. Other suggestions?

What would the approx.price options be for the 3 scenarios please and what would you recommend ?

Dasher
Melbourne Australia

05-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just use the DA lens. If you ever see any effects from the scratch (such as lens flare) then go over the scratch with a black marker (like a Sharpie). You won't see the black mark (or even a piece of tape, for that matter) on the front element show up in your photos, but sometimes the scratch can catch the sunlight and give you some flare. If you don't believe using a black marker's OK, take a look at this:

Dirty lens article
05-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks DSims,
Very interesting article,worth reading, but probably purists may disagree but works fine for me?

And will save me a bit of folding out of my pocket :-)

Dasher
05-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm with DSims. Don't worry about the front element. You didn't say how bad the scratch is, but definitely don't try to polish it out. The scratch might just be in the coating, and messing with it will probably only make it worse.

05-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah nah, thanks guys, it's only a bit of a smudge mark On the lens but not a real scratch and I have never noticed it in any shots just annoying, will do as you suggest and leave it.
Thanks
05-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Just use the DA lens. If you ever see any effects from the scratch (such as lens flare) then go over the scratch with a black marker (like a Sharpie). You won't see the black mark (or even a piece of tape, for that matter) on the front element show up in your photos, but sometimes the scratch can catch the sunlight and give you some flare. If you don't believe using a black marker's OK, take a look at this:

Dirty lens article
thanks for the drity lens link !
05-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haranux Quote
thanks for the drity lens link !
NP, someone else showed me once.

05-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the marker is the best bet but:
How about swapping the front elements between the lenses?
I don't have the kit lens anymore but the front lens might not be difficult to align, I assume it has just one position without adjustment possibilities.

Seb