Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Zoom problems on used lens

So I purchased a used tamron af28-105mm f/4-5.6(if) and just put in on my camera. When i go from 105 down to 28, the zoom kinda stutters and sounds the way it does when you put a lens on a camera. Like from the ball bearings. It happens at around 40 mm - 30mm and doesn't happen all the time.
Should I be returning this and getting my money back or is it something common. I'm new to photography so not really sure.
Thanks
Steve

05-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe this lens is the same as one of three(!) Pentax FA 28-105 lenses (I have the f/3.2-4.5 version): SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I don't think it should make this noise. Unless someone who owns one can confirm it should sound like this, you should return it. I believe the version I have produces better IQ than the other two versions anyway (although there is some disagreement on this among Pentaxians).
05-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
So I purchased a used tamron af28-105mm f/4-5.6(if) and just put in on my camera. When i go from 105 down to 28, the zoom kinda stutters and sounds the way it does when you put a lens on a camera. Like from the ball bearings. It happens at around 40 mm - 30mm and doesn't happen all the time.
Should I be returning this and getting my money back or is it something common. I'm new to photography so not really sure.
Thanks
Steve
Also, if I have the lens off the camera and rotate it 180 degrees (where the serial number is facing up) it doesn't do it. Only when it's on the camera or while holding it the way it's on the camera (with the zoom numbers and the aperture numbers up)
05-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Promaster version. It is quiet all the way thru the zoom range on camera and off. I would return it and find another one.It is a nice, sharp zoom and is usually with me.