Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Suggestions for reorganizing my lenses

Hey guys. My lenses are in my sig below.

After tons of LBA and lots of buying from members of this forum (100% of my equipment is from the marketplace) I need some help in reorganizing my equipment.

I want to eventually move a little more to commercial work. Some higher paid weddings (which I have done a few already) would be my goal.

Right now the two lenses I use the most are the Tam 28-75 and the Pentax 50. Should I overhaul my whole collection ? I see a lot of people with the 16-50 , 50-135 pentax combo. Would this be good for weddings or is the 50-135 unnecessary.

I am on a limited budget but i still would like to know what my endgame might look like. Again I would say weddings is the best judge of what i need.

And a big question is.. Should I update to the K20 ? Is it's low light as good as the k100d? .. very confused about everything right now :P And I'm afraid if I dont get advice now my LBA might go just totally out of control

04-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I don't have any experience doing weddings, I would suggest trading the 50 for the 43--better construction, better IQ, better all-around.

Heather
04-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Heather, any more help guys?
04-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've no experience with the 43mm, but, I have worked with a 50mm a bit. I'd never, and I mean never go anywhere to take pictures without it! All of the 50's are extremely sharp, and are always great in low light. I've used mine to get some great pictures at dawn of Hot Air Balloons. I've also caught a coyote or two in the dark with their glowing eyes. On a DSLR, it's a great portrait focal length, and works great as a macro lens as well.

Just for fun, and not a paying job, take a hike for a few days with nothing but a 50. Let your feet be your zoom, and after a few short hours, you'll develop a different "eye". Cityscapes, candid portraits, architecture, landscapes and close ups have a certain personality with a 50. I'd hang on to it, and add more lenses.

04-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #5

I have to shoot my first wedding in august, and planning ahead I decided to buy the DA70. As you can see from my current line-up (down below) I don't have any telephoto AF glass that would be nice for doing portraiture on the day. I believe the 70 will fit my need there just great.

I don't think the 43/1.9 would be a great change to the 50/1.4... The 1.4 is faster and you won't miss out a great deal FOV-wise by having a 7mm longer lens. Build quality won't get you better photo's to begin with. The 43's bokeh might be better though, but if it's worth exchanging for the 50? I don't know.
04-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
After tons of LBA and lots of buying from members of this forum (100% of my equipment is from the marketplace)
Is there any organised marketplace in these fora ?