Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Great shots. I have a question though. The shot wide open of the grave marker (6th shot) looks real good to me at first. I think that it is very sharp. But, the bokeh is somewhat disturbing to my eyes. Especially the trees and the distant grave markers. I don't see it in any of the other photos. ( BTW, the close up florals are beautiful). Does anyone else see what I am referring to? Maybe someone smarter than me can explain what I am seeing. thanks.

cheers,
i agree, i see it too. but most lenses mess up branches.
there is something not right about the oof grave markers tho... i'm not exactly sure what now that you point it out, they kind of stick out

04-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i agree, i see it too. but most lenses mess up branches.
there is something not right about the oof grave markers tho... i'm not exactly sure what now that you point it out, they kind of stick out

I know exactly what you guys mean... It's not exactly harsh bokeh, but it's... weird. Almost disturbing.
The floral bokeh earlier looked a little spooky, but very pleasing.

One thing that's different about that shot is that the background is very deep - you see the gravestones
going up the hill, and if the ground was level, you wouldn't see those - they'd be more behind the
foreground objects.

So that's what this lens does with a deep but not distant background, shot wide open.

I like the fact that this lens has such a strong personality - definitely different than my M 85 2.

Or - maybe that shot is haunted, It is a graveyard, after all. If you look deeply into the bokeh..... maybe
you'll see something looking back at you.

Here's the same shot stopped down (no sharpening on any of these) :

And a little more macabre (crops) :

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nice shots! It looks like you are putting that lens to good use. It definitely does have it's own personality, I like it.

Last edited by Fritz; 04-30-2008 at 06:21 PM.
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Wow ... this is an extremely nice lens indeed.
Those shots you have taken is crisp ... awesome colour ... and I really do like the bokeh as well.

Hate to ask ... but how much do some of these Super Tak 85's go for??? Approximately.

04-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I hate to tell, because I probably paid too much for mine. But I picked mine up a couple of months ago for about $175.00 (USD). It needed a little cleaning (fungus starting, which of course wasn't mentioned in the ebay add ). And the focus ring needed some fresh grease. But after that little bit if work the lens is beautiful. Looks new, and came with the case, hood, caps. And it takes some really nice pictures!
04-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it produces shots like above ... i think that is well worth the $$$$ spent on it.
04-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
From what I've seen. they run anywhere from $80 for a really rough copy to $275. I think someone in the LRD says they paid $275, and I saw one in one of our local camera shops for $320, but it was perfect.

I got this one for $200, but t was sold with several other lenses and a camera body. The guy said several people were fervently interested.