Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rotating front element DUH!

It finally hit me this weekend while using my Tamron 70-300 DI LD macro with a circular polarizer.

I think I finally got it why people seem not to big fans of rotating front element lenses. If you have a CP on the front and you go through the mess to get it dialed in, then you change focus then your CP setting is messed up. It isn't the end of the world, but can be a small pain in the rear.

I am very slowly learning more and more about this photography thing.

04-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
It finally hit me this weekend while using my Tamron 70-300 DI LD macro with a circular polarizer.

I think I finally got it why people seem not to big fans of rotating front element lenses. If you have a CP on the front and you go through the mess to get it dialed in, then you change focus then your CP setting is messed up. It isn't the end of the world, but can be a small pain in the rear.

I am very slowly learning more and more about this photography thing.
One of the reasons why I'm switching to the Pentax DA 55-300. That and "quick-shift".
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Ed, Re: the DA 5-300 lens, every site that I visit says the lens will not be released until 5/31, yet on the forum people are saying that the lens is on the way. Is it out???

Last edited by Gerrys; 04-28-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Grammer
04-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
Ed, Re: the DA 5-300 lens, every site that I visit says the lens will not be released until 5/31, yet on the forum people are saying that the lens is on the way. Is it out???
Yes, it is out. Hopefully, I will have one in my hand within the next hour.

Just waiting on UPS.

04-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Yes, it is out. Hopefully, I will have one in my hand within the next hour.

Just waiting on UPS.
I am anxiously awaiting a report and samples. If it is at least as good as the Tamron then I'm all over it.
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed,
Do let us know what you think of the 55-300, particularly its IQ and how it compares with its Sigma APO and Tammy counterparts.
I'm sure many of us are anxiously waiting for news of its performance.
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That pesky rotating front element is the reason that I'm leaning towards spending over $100 more than the Sigma APO 70-300 on the 55-300. I like my CPLs too much.

Heather
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
It's also just as annoying if you're using an ND Grad!

Don't worry, took me a year to figure out why you could spin a PL.

04-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
That pesky rotating front element is the reason that I'm leaning towards spending over $100 more than the Sigma APO 70-300 on the 55-300. I like my CPLs too much.

Heather
So far I am happy with the Sigma 70-300 APO I picked up Sunday - I was going to get the Pentax but the deal on the Sigma was sweet - Lens, UV Filter, Mono Pod, and taxes all under $300.00 CDN.

The Front rotation is not really a big deal for me, at least as of yet. I hear people complain about the finish on the Sigma's but I rather like it. Only need a good macro and few fixed and my kit will be complete! Well still need to pick a tripod - next month I hope. After all I have read here and other places I will wait and buy a good tripod and head once, over buying a brunch of low end ones that will just collect dust.

DEVS
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a shootout with both the Sigma APO 70-300 and the 55-300. If the Sigma is anywhere close to the Pentax in terms of IQ, then I may reconsider it, as Amazon has it for $205.65, including free shipping.

I guess one workaround to the rotating front element is that you wait until after you've focused before adjusting it. If you find you need to change positions and refocus, you simply adjust it again.

If I go the Sigma route, that would mean $115 more towards another lens (possibly the Sigma 10-20).

Heather