Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Infinity issue with Super Takumar 50/1.4

Hello all, I picked up a nice Super Takumar (of the later, but not SMC- variety) 50/1.4 this weekend. Even though it does suffer from yellowing, that isn't particularly important to me as I'm going for b&w. However, it seems I'm having an issue focusing at infinity? I can't get an item 20' away from me to be in focus, no matter the aperture. Everything is soft and hazy, no matter what I do (I notice that items get in "better" focus as I come close to infinity, but when I get to infinity, it seems like I still could use a little focusing adjustment.).

So, my question is, is this an issue w/ my M42 adapter, the lens, or the lens + camera combination?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(It's worth noting - that for anything within 5' of me, this is a gorgeous lens with great bokeh =)

Edit: the lens is attached to a k10d with an m42 adaptor, sold at b&h, brand name escapes me presently.

!c

04-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Igilligan

If your adaptor is the kind that fits flush inside the camera, then you should be able to focus to infinity.
Like this one....

If it is the type that sits on top silver lens mount, then it will not focus to infinity...

Can you post a pic or a link of your type of M42 to K adaptor?
04-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm not big on Takumar knowledge, but apparently if you stick the lens in the sun, the yellowing goes away.

Also, might wanna keep that thing away from your reproductive organs.
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Igilligan, I just got home and checked - it's the Bower m42 adaptor, it sits inside and flush with the camera like the one you've posted (with approximately the same negative relationship to the outer k-mount plate as the one in the picture.)

Oddly enough, now that I try, I can't seem to replicate the problem, all I can presume is that since the k-mount adaptor will spin freely (as I removed the clip so that I didn't have to screw the lenses into the body. Admittedly, it's pretty tight, but I can make it spin in the housing if I try) is that during my excersizes this weekend, I managed to loosen up the adaptor slightly and increased the distance to the sensor.

!c