Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is wrong with this lens coating?

Looking to buy a lens... I won't be able to test it before buying. Seller has provided this pic of the lens. Says that irregularities are on inside of front element. (Ie, it is not coating that has been rubbed off on the outside.) Seller says that it doesn't look like fungus, and he doesn't think it affects picture quality.
  1. What is the problem?
  2. Will it likely get worse?
  3. Do you think it would affect picture quality?

Thanks for any and all help!

05-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Could just be residue from moisture/condensation. If so should clean off easily. The question is how did it get on the inside? This marks may cause some flare or loss of contrast if the lighting hits them in the right way. I would pass on the lens. Condensation in an amount to cause marks like that would probably cause other problems as well. Or the lens had been disassembled. No telling if it was properly re-assembled.
05-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks @NotaNumber. Condensation makes sense. Your comment makes me wonder if perhaps it was fungus that was cleaned.
05-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hard to tell from the pic, but my impression is this looks relatively minor. IME it takes a lot to impact IQ (see here). Factor it into the price.

05-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I would pass, its just easier than acquiring someone else' problem. There will always be another one for sale.