Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens from foreign seller!!!

Hi pentaxians. I need your help. Recently Ive seen some smoking deal for Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM on ebay. But the problem is the seller was from Taiwan and Japan. Though their feedback was 100% . My concern is if I buy from them how much custom duty I need to pay?? Is there anyone here who has experience of buying lens from foreign seller ?? Can you guys share your buying experience here , please. Thanks everyone

05-18-2014, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they ship by regular mail, chances are you won't have to pay anything, and that has been my experience with the handful of lenses I got from Japan. With couriers like UPS and DHL, on the other hand, there will be brokerage and processing fees.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohican Quote
Hi pentaxians. I need your help. Recently Ive seen some smoking deal for Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM on ebay. But the problem is the seller was from Taiwan and Japan. Though their feedback was 100% . My concern is if I buy from them how much custom duty I need to pay?? Is there anyone here who has experience of buying lens from foreign seller ?? Can you guys share your buying experience here , please. Thanks everyone
Hope this helps I am also assuming you reside in Australia

When buying over the internet
05-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Adam and sorver for your information. I'm not from Australia though .

05-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

There's an allowance per shipment for camera equipment for the USA. Multiple packages that arrive the same day are counted as one shipment. Around $700 I believe but probably wrong.

Use this only customs duty calculator:
New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

Or you can wade through the US Customs and Border Patrol Website:
Customs Duty Information | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well I purchase lots from Taiwan and Japan seller. Have never paid any customs. They just arrive quietly like any other parcels shipped from US
05-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My concern is if I buy from them how much custom duty I need to pay??
What are the laws in your country of residence? Customs duty is assessed at the border, is the responsibility of the importer (you), and often is zero for a particular class of goods depending on the trade agreements between the originating and importer's country. Such is the case with most photographic cameras and lenses imported into the USA from our "most-favored" trade partners. Of course, YMMV

As noted above, it is best to avoid using UPS and certain other shippers when importing. UPS adds a brokerage fee to the shipping to insure timely delivery of the goods. They pay the duty and then charge it back to you later. This is in addition to the initial fee.

Steve