Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
The yet to be announced and very difficult to build DA* 10-1000 f/1.4 constant with 52mm threads and only weighs 1 pound with image quality at any focal length or aperture similar to the 31/43/77 Limited series. Internal focus/zoom (no extension) only as long as the current kit lens extended.

Yeah, that's the ticket! I'll take one also.

01-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #17

The yet to be announced and very difficult to build DA* 10-1000 f/1.4 constant with 52mm threads and only weighs 1 pound with image quality at any focal length or aperture similar to the 31/43/77 Limited series. Internal focus/zoom (no extension) only as long as the current kit lens extended.

I really love my fisheye and I really love long telephoto so I guess I'd have to get one like this too. Of course I'd be happy with it just the same if the focus was not Internal and I'd also live with a larger diameter, length, and even a little more weight to dampen the movement at those long shots, and of course I'd also lower the standards a little and accept a non-constant of maybe 1.4 - 2.8 with the 1.4 holding atleast to around about 200mm. I don't think that would be asking too much, oh, and it can't be a cheap plastic housing, it has to be durable.
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This is a good question and maybe I'm "anal"ysing this too much.

Money no object, but if I am limited only to what is available now and only what is currently in production, I would be making my decision between a Sigma 28-105 f2.8 - 4 DG or the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 EX DG. I don't have either lens, but both lenses cover a good and practical working range for me and both have a good max aperture so that I would not require a flash for most shots.

If it is a lens that is ficticious, then that changes everything - get me a copy of that lens ccallana just specified (just make sure it's got a great macro capability too)!
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

this would be nice.
Pentax Telephoto SMCP-FA* 300mm f/2.8 ED IF Autofocus Lens

or this Pentax Telephoto SMCP-FA* 600mm f/4.0 ED IF Autofocus Lens

01-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #20

That 600mm is a sexy, sexy piece of equipment.. but it is so horribly non-practical
I don't have a vehicle, and transporting that thing around on a bike or on foot would be a nightmare. lol
01-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #21

If it is a lens that is ficticious, then that changes everything - get me a copy of that lens ccallana just specified (just make sure it's got a great macro capability too)! [/QUOTE]
I'll 2nd that !!! Gotta include macro..........
01-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter

nice choices...

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Trust me, you'd like it...

Maybe next year...?
01-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #23

Maybe a 18-300 with a constant f2 throughout the range with some awesome image quality. That would take care of all my shooting needs.

What? It doesn't exist? Well, then that is the same odds as me being in a situation where money is no object. :-)

I like sort of wide shots for local things, and love being able to zoom in for sports. So, this is my answer. Heck, if money were no object, I could contract Hoya/Pentax to make one for me, right?

01-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #24

Oh, yes, this one would be much better than my first choice. I would then sell all my teleconvertors/lenses on ebay and donate the proceeds.
01-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
Oh, yes, this one would be much better than my first choice. I would then sell all my teleconvertors/lenses on ebay and donate the proceeds.
I forgot to add "smart glass" to the lenses, which you could turn on a polarizer with a flip of a switch.
01-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
I forgot to add "smart glass" to the lenses, which you could turn on a polarizer with a flip of a switch.
We're turning this into a "dream lens" thread now - LOL. But seriously, if that lens that ccallana was not do-able with today's technology, that 18-300mm f/2 you spec'd would be quite satisfactory - it would be a pretty big lens but hey why not?

Oh and yes - contract Hoya/Pentax to build it.
01-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

A 18-300 f/2 probably could be build, but using the bottom of a wine bottle as a lens would give better results, probably...

My only lens would be a 24 f/1,4... too bad Pentax has never produced it, but I can hope....