Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member
gkopeliadis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ATHENS, GREECE
Posts: 311
SIGMA 105mm vs TAMRON 90mm macros

My SIGMA EX 105/2,8 macro is dead ... Don't ask how but it was crashed under my car's tyre.

So the question is : Go and replace it with another one -since I was very pleased with the deseased- or buy the Tamron 90/2,8 macro?
Anyone with experience with both lenses?

04-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Ed in GA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
My SIGMA EX 105/2,8 macro is dead ... Don't ask how but it was crashed under my car's tyre.

So the question is : Go and replace it with another one -since I was very pleased with the deseased- or buy the Tamron 90/2,8 macro?
Anyone with experience with both lenses?
I've never had the Sigma. I do have the Tamron and it's a great lens.

you might want to take a look at this....

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax) - Lab Test Report / Review

Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG - Lab Test Report / Review
04-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
My SIGMA EX 105/2,8 macro is dead ... Don't ask how but it was crashed under my car's tyre.

So the question is : Go and replace it with another one -since I was very pleased with the deseased- or buy the Tamron 90/2,8 macro?
Anyone with experience with both lenses?
TAMRON 90. Even though the Sigma is excellent, the Tamron is more versatile, as it is not as long therefore can be used in tighter quarters and makes a better portrait lens for that reason. Well at least that is what I think.

Ben
04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
xGene's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 151
gkopeliadis, please do yourself a favor and try the Sigma EX DG 70 f2.8!!! It's arguably the sharpest lens in the Sigma lineup and I can attest it's one of the sharpest lens, period. Pop-photo has a review of it and they claim "...virtually flawless...". It is slightly more expensive than the 105mm but it is sharper. I agree with Benjikan that 70mm is better for portraits, nicer perspective (105mm equivalent focal length on K10-K20)

Gene

04-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member
gkopeliadis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ATHENS, GREECE
Posts: 311
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
. I agree with Benjikan that 70mm is better for portraits, nicer perspective (105mm equivalent focal length on K10-K20)

Gene
I don't care for portraits with this lens but I do care for some distance from the object when in macro. I would like an 150mm but none is available for Pentax (I think). The Sigma 180mm has not quite an IQ (as rumours have it)
There is a big gap in macro lenses for Pentax.
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I've never had the Sigma. I do have the Tamron and it's a great lens.

you might want to take a look at this....

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax) - Lab Test Report / Review

Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG - Lab Test Report / Review
Please note however that you cannot compare the MTF figures since those reviews are for two different bodies. Try linking from here

Though the Pentax-specific review is more extensive in some areas (bokeh).

EDIT: link updated in 2010

Last edited by rparmar; 07-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
I don't care for portraits with this lens but I do care for some distance from the object when in macro. I would like an 150mm but none is available for Pentax (I think). The Sigma 180mm has not quite an IQ (as rumours have it)
There is a big gap in macro lenses for Pentax.
I have seen some stunning macro shots, on another list, with the Sigma 180.

Its now on my maybe list.

Dave
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Mechan1k's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,883
I really love my Tamron 90mm ... it's a very nice lens indeed.
I haven't compared it with others ... but I can say I am pleased with my purchase ... it was well worth the $$$$.

05-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 597
I chose the sigma 105 over the tamron 90 when i was looking for a macro lens... IQ isn't far off betwen the two, but most importantly, I needed the longer length for bug shots...
05-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member
gkopeliadis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ATHENS, GREECE
Posts: 311
Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input
I just ordered another Sigma.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, macro, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, tamron, vs tamron 90mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 105mm Macro price in Canada & Tamron 90mm DeniseH Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 08-31-2010 02:06 PM
Tamron 90mm vs sigma 105mm macro Eagle_Friends Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 05-09-2010 05:31 PM
Better Lens? Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, or Pentax 100mm 2.8? PentaxForums-User Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 02-25-2010 10:46 AM
Macro: Pentax D-FA 100mm vs. Tamron SP Di 90mm vs Sigma EX DG 105mm anirbax Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 01-30-2010 10:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top