Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
flektogon vs DA 35mm??

I concluded my review of a Mir-1 by remarking:

So now you know why I sold it, and I have to say my interest in flektogons has diminished accordingly. The CZJ 35mm f2.4 consistently sells for £100+, I would be interested to hear someone make the case to spend that much on a vintage flektogon when the DA 35mm 2.4 can be acquired for almost the same.

Any takers to argue the case?

05-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. I just recently made a thread about the East-German Carl Zeiss version of the Flektogon, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/261325-pent...ogon-35mm.html

Low contrast is what people mentions a couple times. Lack of AF and relatively slow aperture are the other thing. Oh well
05-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Any takers to argue the case?
AlthoughI don't have the DA 35mm - I do have a very good copy ( imo) of CZJ flektogon that I consider among the best lenses I have. I will dig some sample shots from my ever growing of 10000+ of unprocessed shots and will give them a quick treatment to post some samples. From what I see on forums DA appears to be very sharp - perhaps sharper than Fk even but I find flektogon a superior to any other 28-35mm lens I ever had - especially useful in close-to-mid range shots. Just tagging this post so I can come back later with some samples - I'll let the photos do the talking.

But - care to explain why do you even compare these two so different lenses - apart the focal length I don't think they have much in common ( again : judgeaing by comparing what I saw from uploaded photos from DA and my own experiences with Flektogon).
' >' manntax
05-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Look forward to seeing some pics manntax - thanks. The similarity for me is what you said - a focal length that gives 50mm equivalent on apsc.

05-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Look forward to seeing some pics manntax - thanks. The similarity for me is what you said - a focal length that gives 50mm equivalent on apsc.
Answering some questions that recently were posted about this great lens , I created a thread which will hopefully become a starting point for a club for this cult lens. Here is the link with some testing and real life shots : Zeiss Flektogon 35mm lens club
' >' manntax

Last edited by manntax; 06-07-2014 at 11:53 PM.
06-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

It depends what you're shooting. I had the DA35 when I picked up a Flek for £10.99 (granted, it has a wee dent in the filter thread). The Flektogon has better handling and construction, it focuses closer than the DA35, and has a nicer bokeh, in my view. I have not had any issues with low contrast, in fact I thought contrast and colour rendition was better for the Flektogon. I shot a few comparison shots over at Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/antipattern/sets/72157632642710069 and there are some more pictures taken with the Flektogon/DA35 in my stream there, too. For street photography I actually preferred the Flektogon, too, as the focus is less fiddly and actually stays in place better than the plastic fantastic DA35. However, I was always a little gutted about the lack of EXIF-data in the files, and the annoying adapter, that would get stuck to my camera, usually when I left the metal thingy to unscrew it at home.

In the end I ended up selling the DA35, albeit for a DA40. The Flektogon still makes it onto my K5 every now and then, and I recently used it with my MX-S on film. But usually, I go for something with autofocus these days.

It sounds like I'm slagging the DA35, but I have to add, that it was my first digital prime and some of my favourite pictures were taken with it. When I first got it, I was blown away by the quality difference compared to my other lenses. It's a fine lens. In the end it boils down on your usage, really.
06-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
picked up a Flek for £10.99
Thanks for the comments Christian, your test pics suggest both lenses are in the same ballpark. I shall continue to scavenge away for a flek at even 2-3 times the price of yours.... but not £100+! (actually I watched a DA35 sell for £80 recently - missed it!)

06-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I shall continue to scavenge away for a flek at even 2-3 times the price of yours.... but not £100+!
I wish I was THAT determined :P - sadly this lens in good-to-excellent condition usually sells for 10+ times what he paid for it Good luck though!
'>' manntax