Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peace Country, AB
Posts: 33
Anyone using the new Teleconverter with 18mm - 135mm WR?

Hi, I have the K30 with WR 18-135mm lens. I am thinking of buying the new Pentax WR HD Rear Converter. Is anyone using this combo? I am trying to budget, would really prefer the DA* 60-250mm AND the Teleconverter, but not till I have more pennies in the piggybank. Looking forward to replies and or photo examples. Thanks

05-19-2014, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,908
Personally I would save my pennies for the DA*60-250. You're trying to put a Converter on a lens only marginally better than the kit lens. The DA*60-250 is in another league of it own.
05-19-2014, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,242
Apparently the new $600 tele-convertor is almost neutral to the optical qualities of the lenses it is inserted between, except for adding an f-stop to your aperture. Narrower minimum apertures can also affect auto-focus performance. Question is, is it worth $600 to you to get a 135-190mm f6.3 zoom to go with your 18-135 lens? Could you spend the same $600 on something more versatile with at least as fast an aperture? (hint: DA 55-300 WR) If you already have $1300 invested in a telephoto zoom, and longer zooms of equal quality are more expensive than the tele-convertor, then it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by RGlasel; 05-19-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the effect on AF with your lens
05-19-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saarbrucken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
Second for DA 55-300. Had DAL version of this lens and was truly amazed.
Also keep in mind that AF mots probably will not work on 18-135 with TC.
Best regards,
Yuriy

05-19-2014, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,778
I think the lenses best suited to the TC are the DA* 300 ƒ4 and the DA*60-250 ƒ4. Once you use a lens that doesn't open to ƒ4, the AF is negatively affected,(as in not reliable) and used with an ƒ2.8 lens or faster the TC is excellent. Why use a TC other than those two when there are better non-TC options. We also like the TC on the Tamron 90 macro and Sigma 70 macro for more magnification, but quite simply stated, working without the TC gives you more light to work with. Use it when you need it for reach or magnification.

If you're going to get the DA*60-250, the DA 55-300 is pretty much a waste of money, unless you're in a situation where you can sell it easily when you're done with it. But if you're talking years not months, go for the DA 55-300. Going without a DA 55-300 for years waiting to be able to afford a DA*60-250 isn't a smart move.

Personally I wouldn't buy the TC unless you're trying to extend your reach beyond 300mm.
05-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,992
Just get a 55-300 IMO as it'll give you more reach and a faster aperture than a 135mm with the converter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-19-2014, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 800
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think the lenses best suited to the TC are the DA* 300 4 and the DA*60-250 4. Once you use a lens that doesn't open to 4, the AF is negatively affected,(as in not reliable) and used with an 2.8 lens or faster the TC is excellent. Why use a TC other than those two when there are better non-TC options. We also like the TC on the Tamron 90 macro and Sigma 70 macro for more magnification, but quite simply stated, working without the TC gives you more light to work with. Use it when you need it for reach or magnification.

If you're going to get the DA*60-250, the DA 55-300 is pretty much a waste of money, unless you're in a situation where you can sell it easily when you're done with it. But if you're talking years not months, go for the DA 55-300. Going without a DA 55-300 for years waiting to be able to afford a DA*60-250 isn't a smart move.

Personally I wouldn't buy the TC unless you're trying to extend your reach beyond 300mm.
I think this is excellent advice.


I would say it isn't worth buying the TC just to add to the 18-135. As good of a lens as it is, I don't think you would see any benefit of the 18-135 + TC from what the 55-300 could deliver, reliably. You can pick up decently priced 55-300's on the marketplace, that way if you ever sell it, you won't lose on it. They tend to be fairly abundant in their various versions. Plus, by the time you are ready to buy the DA*'s, the TC will have dropped in price, or there could be a used one on the market (doubt it).
05-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 103
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I think this is excellent advice.


I would say it isn't worth buying the TC just to add to the 18-135. As good of a lens as it is, I don't think you would see any benefit of the 18-135 + TC from what the 55-300 could deliver, reliably. You can pick up decently priced 55-300's on the marketplace, that way if you ever sell it, you won't lose on it. They tend to be fairly abundant in their various versions. Plus, by the time you are ready to buy the DA*'s, the TC will have dropped in price, or there could be a used one on the market (doubt it).
Yup. That's what I did. Had 18-135 and a DA 50/1.8 on my initial purchase and wrestled with this question. Ordered a 55-300 WR. Now I will probably stand pat on lenses for a while unless a really cheap used offer comes along.
Next camera purchase will probably be a flash (still considering if I really need that as a casual snapshot shooter)

05-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peace Country, AB
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Personally I would save my pennies for the DA*60-250. You're trying to put a Converter on a lens only marginally better than the kit lens. The DA*60-250 is in another league of it own.
Thank you for the input, it helps

---------- Post added 05-20-14 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
Yup. That's what I did. Had 18-135 and a DA 50/1.8 on my initial purchase and wrestled with this question. Ordered a 55-300 WR. Now I will probably stand pat on lenses for a while unless a really cheap used offer comes along.
Next camera purchase will probably be a flash (still considering if I really need that as a casual snapshot shooter)
Thanks so much, this forum is so very helpful and clear in the answers. Certainly answers my question. I will look for a 55-300 WR.

---------- Post added 05-20-14 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just get a 55-300 IMO as it'll give you more reach and a faster aperture than a 135mm with the converter.
Thanks for all of the replies, certainly solidifies my choice.
05-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 320
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Second for DA 55-300. Had DAL version of this lens and was truly amazed.
Also keep in mind that AF mots probably will not work on 18-135 with TC.
Best regards,
Yuriy
FWIW my KENKO 1.4x Pz- TC autofocuses perfectly with the K-30 and 18-135 (with the DC motor), so why should the Pentax version not work ?

It's also horses for courses w.r.t. the DA 55-300, which I agree is probably the sharper lens all-round (my non-WR version certainly IS sharp) - but it's a slow focuser and does not "like" the KENKO TC. Also it is generally a lot more trouble to carry around than an 18-135 (which can stay on the camera in a small holster case) and a small TC (which can go in a bag or pocket when not being used).

Since getting the 18-135, the 55-300 has had little use - probably need to sell it on now!

OTOH, if I really need a "big gun" I'll take the Sigma 100-300 F4 or the 150-500.

Last edited by jeallen01; 05-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
05-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,558
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
FWIW my KENKO 1.4x Pz- TC autofocuses perfectly with the K-30 and 18-135 (with the DC motor), so why should the Pentax version not work ?

It's also horses for courses w.r.t. the DA 55-300, which I agree is probably the sharper lens all-round (my non-WR version certainly IS sharp) - but it's a slow focuser and does not "like" the KENKO TC. Also it is generally a lot more trouble to carry around than an 18-135 (which can stay on the camera in a small holster case) and a small TC (which can go in a bag or pocket when not being used).

Since getting the 18-135, the 55-300 has had little use - probably need to sell it on now!

OTOH, if I really need a "big gun" I'll take the Sigma 100-300 F4 or the 150-500.
The DA55-300 reach at 300mm and the 18-135 with 1.4TC reach at 200mm with inferior quality and higher price than the DAL 55-300@200mm !

The TC only gain with a 18-135 is not cost, image quality or reach but less things to carry. In that last case, I wonder if a 18-250 is not a better all arround option...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18mm 135mm, answers, converter, da*60-250, k-mount, k30, lens, pentax lens, pm, post, purchase, question, rear converter, slr lens, teleconverter, teleconverter with 18mm, thanks, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone tried the new 55-300 wr on the K3.yet? David&karen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-21-2014 06:56 AM
Has anyone tried the Samyang 85mm f1.4 with the Pentax 1.7x AF teleconverter? ChopperCharles Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 10-17-2013 09:31 PM
Anyone using the DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR? Mlcinema Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 02-24-2013 11:57 AM
Using WR bodies with non WR lenses future_retro Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 08-21-2010 04:00 AM
anyone pre-order the new wr kit lenses? vagrant10 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-01-2009 04:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top